Does my russian have MBD

swatsx

5 Year Member
As you may or may not know I adopted my two russian tortoises not too long ago these guys came to me on bone dry substrate, feeding only on romaine and being soaked once a week plus no uvb light. I have been soaking 20-30 min every other day since I got them, I moved them to my 220 gallon fish tank to up ambient temperature and humidity, I've added dandelion, and turnip greens to the diet of romain and added a uvb 5.0 light 8 inches above their basking spot I also dust food every other day with calcium well today while doing my soak I noticed my female has a hump back is it MBD can I reverse the damage? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430434329.648417.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430434339.102817.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430434347.390237.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430434355.527464.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430434364.148523.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I do not see anthing wrong, maybe its just me. do they use their back legs ok?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Just looks like a normal dome to me too. Does she stand up when she walks or does she drag herself?

swatsx

5 Year Member
There's a lil dip in her shell I tried to get it but maybe it's not as bad as I see, she walks on all fours they both went two days of no food and just hiding but they are all over now eating no problem thanks for reassuring me she's ok

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Going a couple days without eating is normal when you just get them. Do you get them outside in the sun? The sun is a wonderful healer for these guys :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
One of my rescues has a dip also. She had a flower painted on her for years. It is a little higher than yours, on her back. I think the lack of UVB in that spot for years caused her deformity.
I think she is beautiful.

swatsx

5 Year Member
No outside yet I read the day has to be 70+ and sunny haven't had a day like that since I got them but I plan on every day I'm off to have em outside

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Sounds like those are now 2 very lucky torts to have found you!:)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Does she stand up when she walks or does she drag herself?
How much of a drag is bad? Sometimes my little dude looks like he may be walking a little lazily but the vet said he's pretty healthy.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
How much of a drag is bad? Sometimes my little dude looks like he may be walking a little lazily but the vet said he's pretty healthy.
I think you would know something was wrong if he was dragging himself. As long as he can stand up n walk strong, he is ok. Make sure he is getting calcium n sunshine. :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I think you would know something was wrong if he was dragging himself. As long as he can stand up n walk strong, he is ok. Make sure he is getting calcium n sunshine. :)
Thanks! Oh yes, he will get lots of sunshine this summer!!! :D