Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishell

5 Year Member
I'm new to forums, so I hope to figure this all out as I go. I'm so happy to have found this site! thx for being here. We have 2 California desert tortoises that are 3 years old (one is a runt---half the size of it's sibling), still living indoors in a glass 60 gallon tank. They have a great habitat w/lots of shelves, underhangs, heat lamp, hot spot, plenty of soil-type stuff for digging. Just wondering when to turn them loose in the yard? They seem so vulnerable to be outside on their own w/all the predators that we get in our area. We live in So. Calif, near the beach, but get lots of racoons, skunks, possums, hawks, a local owl, and cats all traipsing through the yard/neighborhood. any advice? thx!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Mishell.

It probably would be best if you could make a smaller habitat, rather than turn them loose in the whole yard. I have a couple 5 year old CDT that live outside during the day in an area about 5' x 20'. Then I bring them in at night, just to keep them safe from the night time marauders.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I wouldn't leave them out either, unless you can make them a secure enclosure with a top on it that the night creepers can't get into.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome always nice to have another cali member.

Status
Not open for further replies.