Hi from VT

floppyeardog

Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
Hi all!

I am about to become a tort mom. Not planned, but a friend is in a tight spot and asked if I wanted her “Red Eared Slider.” I’m familiar with those, so saidbsure. Have received a picture of…. Clearly not a RES 😂 thinking Red Foot… can anyone confirm?

I’ve read the care sheets. This is not the species I would have a chosen, but since it’s currently living in a 20 gallon tank and being cared for like a bearded dragon, I’m taking him and will make it work. Space is not a concern, I have a large empty room I can build an indoor enclose in (since we are very close to “too cold to be outside” and I live in 5 acres so come spring I can figure out an enclosure.
There are NO pet stores within an hour of me, so Amazon is going to be my friend for anything that can’t be bought at a feed store. I believe they do carry the substrates recommended here at least!
I’m about to place an Amazon order for him, so if you can link your favorite heat emitters etc I’ll get him situated ASAP!

Attachments

• IMG_7327.jpeg
    IMG_7327.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Boy
That's a very special species and you're going to need several things tight away.

#1 A very large enclosure that is closed. Like a vivarium or a greenhouse. To keep the humidity up over 75%.
You'll want to use Orchid bark for the substrate.

#2 An ambient temperature of between 80 and 88. With 82 to 84 being the goal.

#3 They dislike bright lights. But require a strip florescent T5 HO UVB tube. A 10.0 or 12%. For several hours a day. Or time outside in the real sunlight for a few hours a week.

#4 Feeding is easy for this species. Because they can eat many hundreds of things. Almost any fresh, unprocessed foods that you and your family eat are acceptable.
They can eat a diet of 60% fruit. With vegetable matter. Green leafy matter and flowers. Cactus. Mushrooms. Animal protein including boiled egg and raw meat. Mix it up daily. Offer a wide variety for the best nutritional value.

Let's get started here.

I see a cage in the background. If there is a dog nearby, keep it away from this tortoise at all times.
Dogs find tortoises to be irresistible chew toys.

Last edited:

floppyeardog

Vermont
Boy
That's a very special species and you're going to need several things tight away.

#1 A very large enclosure that is closed. Like a vivarium or a greenhouse. To keep the humidity up over 75%.

#3 They dislike bright lights. But require a strip florescent T5 HO UVB tube. A 10.0 or 12%. For several hours a day. Or time outside in the real sunlight for a few hours a week.
#4 Feeding is easy for this species. Because they can eat nany hundreds of things. Almost any fresh, unprocessed foods that you and your family eat are acceptable.
They can eat a diet of 60% fruit. Vegetable matter. Green leafy matter and flowers. Cactus. Mushrooms. Animal protein including boiled egg and raw meat.
Let's get started here.

I see a cage in the background. If there is a dog nearby, keep it away from this tortoise at all times.
So I identified correctly? Darn!
Yes to dogs, they absolutely cannot enter the space where the tort will be (pic is not from my house. I’m used to the “2 doors” method of separation).
Any way to age it? Been told it’s “small” and “hand sized”
I have a 30” x 48” tub that I can make covered for the time being while I sort out a bigger space. I have a small farm so i’m reasonably handy and have lots of “stuff” around.
Can I change its diet abruptly? I have no idea what it’s currently eating, but I guarantee it’s not an appropriate diet (pretty sure it’s getting whatever she feeds her Beardies). They can have pinkies? I raise rabbits, so have new kits available if/when tort is big enough to eat it.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to TFO!

I live near Keene, NH, and work in Putney, VT, and live with a Redfoot also... read and stick to the guides you'll find here and you should be good.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Maggie3fan recently st up a young redfoot in a tabletop greenhouse. Do a search for her thread. . . or if anyone else can fin it foe them and show the link (I don't know how to link from this Kindle)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I identified correctly? Darn!
Yes to dogs, they absolutely cannot enter the space where the tort will be (pic is not from my house. I’m used to the “2 doors” method of separation).
Any way to age it? Been told it’s “small” and “hand sized”
I have a 30” x 48” tub that I can make covered for the time being while I sort out a bigger space. I have a small farm so i’m reasonably handy and have lots of “stuff” around.
Can I change its diet abruptly? I have no idea what it’s currently eating, but I guarantee it’s not an appropriate diet (pretty sure it’s getting whatever she feeds her Beardies). They can have pinkies? I raise rabbits, so have new kits available if/when tort is big enough to eat it.
Hello and welcome!

The specific care advice the ZEROPILOT gave you will serve you well. The 36x48 tub will work for a little while as long as you can keep it warm and humid.

Most of what you need will be found at a hardware store. Pet stores aren't much help and will usually give terrible advice and sell you all the wrong stuff. The UV tube the ZP mentioned can be found at lightyourreptiles.com, and possibly on Amazon too. Your ceramic heating elements and thermostats, timers, etc.., can all be found on Amazon.

I would add: Soak this baby for 30-40 minutes every day for a while. Use warm water in a tall sided opaque tub, and keep the water warm the whole time.

It doesn't matter what the tortoise was fed before. You can mix up all the right stuff, and the tortoise should eat it all. The tortoise might not want to eat much at first until the conditions are warm and humid, and it has some time to settle in.

floppyeardog

Vermont
Welcome to TFO!

I live near Keene, NH, and work in Putney, VT, and live with a Redfoot also... read and stick to the guides you'll find here and you Yes. Begin feeding the correct foods right away. And make sure to provide sunlight, warmth and humidity.
Also, a nice shallow warm water soak.
Boy

#4 Feeding is easy for this species. Because they can eat many hundreds of things. Almost any fresh, unprocessed foods that you and your family eat are acceptable.
They can eat a diet of 60% fruit. With vegetable matter. Green leafy matter and flowers. Cactus. Mushrooms. Animal protein including boiled egg and raw meat. Mix it up daily. Offer a wide variety for the best nutritional value.

Let's get started here.

Is this an acceptable UVB? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4273ZVQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I have a digital thermostat control in my cart (zoo med) and a lucky herp CHE. Plus a hygrometer and laser thermometer. I have the hood things for the CHE (well, I have a million hoods for my chick brooder so I’ll repurpose one).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.