Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbMaul

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Valparaiso, IN
Hi,
My name is Barb. I live in Valparaiso, IN (originally from Chicago). I previously had a full grown Russian (Sputnik) and a Red-eared Slider (Earl). I currently have a baby Russian Tortoise.
He has no name yet. He was hybernating but my granddaughter picked him up and now he is awake.
Because he is a baby, I hope to learn things here.
Thanks
Barb

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Barb, and welcome to the Forum!

BarbMaul

5 Year Member
Valparaiso, IN
Thank you, nice to meet you. I am going to look around a bit. I see pictures of growing weeds indoors. I tried that and it didn't work. I thought they grew anywhere & everywhere.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I do have a question, how are you hibernating your little guy? I am not understanding how your granddaughter was able to just pick her up while hibernating or why that would be enough to "wake" it up.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. You have come to the right place. You will learn a lot. I know I have...

BarbMaul

5 Year Member
Valparaiso, IN
He was sleeping for awhile now about a month or so. This little baby tortoise did not burrow in. He was just under the timothy hay.
She reached in and pulled him out and started pressing on his underside, as well, and brought him to me. He still had his eyes closed. But, because she did all that, I got worred.
Now he's up and active and eating. I am taking this opportunity to change his substrate and his enclosure.
She knows that he is a "Look at pet, not a 'touch me' pet".
I'll guard him with my life, he's so little.
What do you think happens next?

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
Welcome Is you tortoise the one in the profile picture because if so it looks like a sulcata and they don't hibernate

BarbMaul

5 Year Member
Valparaiso, IN
leonardo the tmnt said:
Welcome Is you tortoise the one in the profile picture because if so it looks like a sulcata and they don't hibernate

I know, he does not look like my Russian. He was sold to me as a Russian. He looks like "Tom's" avatar does. He's so little compared to my Russian.
Maybe that's why he didn't burrow in.

I need to know what he is so I can care for him correctly.

Oh, boy.
Worried here.

BarbMaul

5 Year Member
Valparaiso, IN
Thank you all for being here. I had a Russian for years and he was about 9 inches. (not supposed to get more than that). He is gone now. I recently bought a baby "Russian". Seems like there's been a mistake on his identity and I've been caring for him like he's a Russian. Uh oh.
I need to get some reading in now. Thanks again for being here, Barb

leonardo the tmnt said:

Yes it is. They don't hibernate?
Yesterday, I gave him his first soak. He drank and pooped and peed. Today, he was running around his enclosure. He had all kinds of energy. If I didn't come here to this forum....

I've been reading up on the Sulcata and wow!

Thanks for the welcome. I need all kinds of help now.

Status
Not open for further replies.