Hi Everyone

Brett Lucksinger

My name is Brett and I live in Katy, Texas which is just west of Houston. I have loved turtles and tortoises all of my life. I have only cared for a few when I was much younger. Two box turtles, a few red eared sliders and a Russian tortoise. Due to moves, college, etc. I gave them away. I currently live on about two acres that has a small stock pond. I go out on the dock as often as I can to feed all of the turtles, catfish and perch. It is a lot of fun. My children try and name all of the turtles when they come up to feed. Most of them are red eared sliders, but there are some other ones that I am not sure about.

I have been fascinated with large tortoises for a long time and I have been wanting to purchase/adopt a sulcata for years. I have researched them for years and I am planning to start working on the enclosure over the next month or so. I currently have a fenced area of my yard that I would like to tortoise proof. The area is approximately 3,000 sq.ft. Currently, one side has wrought iron fencing and the other has a heavy duty 2"x 6" ranch style rail fence. My plan is to install either extra large retaining wall blocks 24" high or stack 2"x 12" treated lumber on edge around the perimeter. I also plan to rent a ditch witch to excavate an 18" deep trench around the perimeter to fill with concrete.

Am I crazy to think about getting a sulcata? I see so many people online putting them up for adoption or selling them. I understand that they get huge and powerful, not to mention expensive (food/vet) and time consuming. My thought is to get just one large tortoise so that I don't have to worry about the over mating and fighting issues.

Please let me know you thoughts.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Brett

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: If you have the means and space, I say go for it! Do your research, know what you are getting into and be prepared before your tortoise arrives (these are all things I failed to do). Tortoise keeping is so rewarding...but it is also challenging. Welcome to the group!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
If you're crazy for wanting a Sulcata, you're in good company here. I currently have 9 Russians, 6 leopards and a Sulcata. Some of them are foster torts. Sulcatas are a lot of work and expensive, but so much fun.
Welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum,Brett!

I don't think you need to be that extreme with your tortoise fence. As long as they can't see daylight under the bottom board, or can't see through the fence, they usually respect that and don't try to dig out.

Brett Lucksinger

Welcome to the forum,Brett!

I don't think you need to be that extreme with your tortoise fence. As long as they can't see daylight under the bottom board, or can't see through the fence, they usually respect that and don't try to dig out.
Skipping the concrete trench step would certainly make it easier. I just want to make sure that I don't have an escape. Thank you for the information.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Go for it. You have the space. If you have the love, which is sounds like you do and the means, money, it's not that expensive and I do it in cold winters of Chicago, go for it. I don't think you will be sorry.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Honestly, I have not ruled out anything. I just know that I am interested in large tortoises. I have never really researched leopards, but they are beautiful. I will start researching now.
A couple months ago we had a member that looked out his window and seen 25 or 30 leopards in a field . And someone ask how he could aford all thoughts Leopards? And he said oh no I live in S. Africa , they are wild ! Paint that picture in your mind . I have 29 leopards .

Brett Lucksinger

Welcome to TFO!!:tort: If you have the means and space, I say go for it! Do your research, know what you are getting into and be prepared before your tortoise arrives (these are all things I failed to do). Tortoise keeping is so rewarding...but it is also challenging. Welcome to the group!
Thank you for the kind welcome and for the encouragement!

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Hello, Brett!

Welcome to the forum! This place is awesome and the people are amazing! Getting a Sulcata would be sooooo cool if you have the space. It must be like having a dinosaur walking around in your backyard! What a neat experience for your kids :)

There are some off the hook enclosure pictures that people have posted, if you browse around (I've gotten a bit addicting to browsing the forums....) I bet you could find a lot of inspiration for your project!

Best of luck!

Alaskamike

South Florida
With 3,000 sq ' area, you have enough room for a large Sulcata to be a happy camper. My 8 yr young one has the run of my 1/4 acre yard and seems quite content to be the boss of it. He is only 40 lbs, but it's 40 lbs of character and attitude.

I initially made him an enclosure that was 36' X 12' with a heated "house' he can go into, but realized after a month that this was not enough. he paced constantly and was devastating the grass in there so I opened the door and gave him the whole yard. Now he sleeps under a hedge row, digs a bit under a metal shed and eats to his hearts content on weeds and grass. He grazes hours every day. I only mow the back about every other time I mow the front. Sometimes he sleeps in the heated house, but most times he is under a hedge in the yard (its still warm now). I the winter he will be encouraged to use the heated house more.

Concrete stacked blocks will hold them in, but I prefer 2 vertically stacked 2" x 12" boards. I found he walks the fence line and rubs his shell against them. Wood is more forgiving, but many use the concrete without a problem. I did sink the first board in about 6" to discourage digging under and to insure he could not see daylight under a board. That was enough. If they dig along a fence line it is not usually to get out, it is to start a burrow. But they might start digging and see an opening and push under. It has happened to others. Usually though, people lose them because someone left the gate open.

Hedge rows, trees, plants he can eat (I have several banana trees, blackberry, and grape vines he likes) lots of hide and shade spots are a must for escape from the sun and temperature change As well as a heated hide box @toms designs are the best IMO to emulate.

As much space as you have a concrete or pre- formed small pond would be great addition, but would need a recirculating pump to stay fresh. They like to get in water when it is beastly hot. I don't have a pond but used an under water heater drip pan for him to get into, and he does.

Once the proper initial set up is created, I find here in Florida, I don't really have to feed him. Nature is doing most of that for me. I still give him sweet peppers, Hibiscus leaves and flowers, some orchard grass and a bit of Mazuri tort food and greens with a calcium supplement sprinkled on it several times a week as a treat. But it's not expensive I know a person here who has several grocery stores that allow her to come in and collect the browned produce weekly for her large tortoises.

What is that old saying, "If you build it they will come"......

Make something like that and people with a very large Sulcata that can no longer care for them will be beating down your door to re-home him with your family. There are many out there that would thrive in your environment

Brett Lucksinger

With 3,000 sq ' area, you have enough room for a large Sulcata to be a happy camper. My 8 yr young one has the run of my 1/4 acre yard and seems quite content to be the boss of it. He is only 40 lbs, but it's 40 lbs of character and attitude.

I initially made him an enclosure that was 36' X 12' with a heated "house' he can go into, but realized after a month that this was not enough. he paced constantly and was devastating the grass in there so I opened the door and gave him the whole yard. Now he sleeps under a hedge row, digs a bit under a metal shed and eats to his hearts content on weeds and grass. He grazes hours every day. I only mow the back about every other time I mow the front. Sometimes he sleeps in the heated house, but most times he is under a hedge in the yard (its still warm now). I the winter he will be encouraged to use the heated house more.

Concrete stacked blocks will hold them in, but I prefer 2 vertically stacked 2" x 12" boards. I found he walks the fence line and rubs his shell against them. Wood is more forgiving, but many use the concrete without a problem. I did sink the first board in about 6" to discourage digging under and to insure he could not see daylight under a board. That was enough. If they dig along a fence line it is not usually to get out, it is to start a burrow. But they might start digging and see an opening and push under. It has happened to others. Usually though, people lose them because someone left the gate open.

Hedge rows, trees, plants he can eat (I have several banana trees, blackberry, and grape vines he likes) lots of hide and shade spots are a must for escape from the sun and temperature change As well as a heated hide box @toms designs are the best IMO to emulate.

As much space as you have a concrete or pre- formed small pond would be great addition, but would need a recirculating pump to stay fresh. They like to get in water when it is beastly hot. I don't have a pond but used an under water heater drip pan for him to get into, and he does.

Once the proper initial set up is created, I find here in Florida, I don't really have to feed him. Nature is doing most of that for me. I still give him sweet peppers, Hibiscus leaves and flowers, some orchard grass and a bit of Mazuri tort food and greens with a calcium supplement sprinkled on it several times a week as a treat. But it's not expensive I know a person here who has several grocery stores that allow her to come in and collect the browned produce weekly for her large tortoises.

What is that old saying, "If you build it they will come"......

Make something like that and people with a very large Sulcata that can no longer care for them will be beating down your door to re-home him with your family. There are many out there that would thrive in your environment
Thank you so much for the great information. I will go with the stacked 2"x 12"' method and sink the bottom edge. Does the pond need to be really shallow or do they do okay swimming a little? I can build one using concrete and a pond liner. I have built koi ponds in the past, so it shouldn't be too hard. I would also like to install some raised "island" areas in the enclosure using retaining wall blocks for planting. I think that it would look really nice to create a native habitat, that the tortoise can't destroy, using cactus and desert grasses. That way after he destroys the existing grass the area will still look really nice. I really appreciate your input. Have a nice day!

Brett Lucksinger

Hello, Brett!

Welcome to the forum! This place is awesome and the people are amazing! Getting a Sulcata would be sooooo cool if you have the space. It must be like having a dinosaur walking around in your backyard! What a neat experience for your kids :)

There are some off the hook enclosure pictures that people have posted, if you browse around (I've gotten a bit addicting to browsing the forums....) I bet you could find a lot of inspiration for your project!

Best of luck!
Thank you for the suggestion, I will take a look at the enclosures. I am sure that my kids will really enjoy having a dinosaur in the backyard! However, it is usually me dragging my wife and kids to the tortoise area at the Houston Zoo.

Brett Lucksinger

Thank you for the kind welcome! I just read all of the links you provided. That is all great information. Thank you for sharing!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Pond
this really is a matter of some opinion. You might get other ideas
If I was making it, I would have gradually sloping sides all the way around. This eliminates any tip hazards. Then I would make it so that a large tortoise could sit in it at any level he wanted - including a deep area in the middle that he could swim in too.

This also allows you to better sustain fish (like Koi) if you wanted to.

Hills are great, just be aware that tortoises can and do tip over off steep banks, and sometimes cannot right themselves.

rbcurdt

St. Louis, MO
My name is Brett and I live in Katy, Texas which is just west of Houston. I have loved turtles and tortoises all of my life. I have only cared for a few when I was much younger. Two box turtles, a few red eared sliders and a Russian tortoise. Due to moves, college, etc. I gave them away. I currently live on about two acres that has a small stock pond. I go out on the dock as often as I can to feed all of the turtles, catfish and perch. It is a lot of fun. My children try and name all of the turtles when they come up to feed. Most of them are red eared sliders, but there are some other ones that I am not sure about.

I have been fascinated with large tortoises for a long time and I have been wanting to purchase/adopt a sulcata for years. I have researched them for years and I am planning to start working on the enclosure over the next month or so. I currently have a fenced area of my yard that I would like to tortoise proof. The area is approximately 3,000 sq.ft. Currently, one side has wrought iron fencing and the other has a heavy duty 2"x 6" ranch style rail fence. My plan is to install either extra large retaining wall blocks 24" high or stack 2"x 12" treated lumber on edge around the perimeter. I also plan to rent a ditch witch to excavate an 18" deep trench around the perimeter to fill with concrete.

Am I crazy to think about getting a sulcata? I see so many people online putting them up for adoption or selling them. I understand that they get huge and powerful, not to mention expensive (food/vet) and time consuming. My thought is to get just one large tortoise so that I don't have to worry about the over mating and fighting issues.

Please let me know you thoughts.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Brett