Hi everybody!

AZTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I guess I'll just jump right in with a quick intro. I am new to the world of desert tortoises, however I have 2 box turtle rescues that I've had for going on 3 years. I wasn't looking to get tortoises but it just kinda happened the way so many things in life do. I went to buy a cactus in May and came home with 4 desert tortoises that were 'gifted' to me. They will be a year old in Sept. Then my tortoise research began. One of the first things I learned through my research is that there is a whole lot of disagreement when it comes to what to feed them. What one source says to feed them, another source says to never feed them. What mine all seem to love the most is grapevine leaves. Please don't tell me they're bad for them. LOL

Anyway, I have an inside terrarium where I keep them at night or if I'm not home to be able to go out every few minutes to check on them. I put them outside in a small area separate from the turtles. It is fully enclosed with a roof...lots of shade. I check on them all the time when they are out there because they seem to get themselves into odd predicaments. Their enclosure is a work in progress. As soon as they are outside they really come to life until it gets too warm, then they nap. LOL They all have different personalities too.

This looks like a fun and informative site. I'm looking forward to digging through it for information as time allows. I have so many questions.... I will be looking through the threads on here to see if I can find my answers without asking what may be a bunch of redundant questions.

Regards,
Michele

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Grape leaves are a great food for them. Here are some more good ones:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

AZTorts

Arizona
Thanks! I have a few of those things growing in my yard. I need more for variety though, I think. I don't have a mulberry tree but my dad does and when I visit him I grab leaves. Lots of leaves! I'm trying to propagate a tree from some cuttings because I don't think we can buy mulberry trees here in the valley anymore. I ordered dandelion seeds...planted them, none came up! They're a weed! How could they not come up? LOL My plan is to plant their habitat in healthy, edible food. I'm going to check on those seed links you gave me and see if it will grow here in the desert.

AZTorts

Arizona
Their first time in the dichondra. I have since removed the red bricks so they can graze anytime they are outside in their habitat now.

Reactions: Ida

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Michele welcome to the TFO from Phx also . And I have 5 ADT 's and they are great but I think all mine are boys I was hopeing for at least one would be a girl .
And I have ornate and 3 toe box turtles .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

AZTorts

Arizona
Hello Michele welcome to the TFO from Phx also . And I have 5 ADT 's and they are great but I think all mine are boys I was hopeing for at least one would be a girl .
And I have ornate and 3 toe box turtles .

Hi there! I have one ornate and one three toed boxie too! I have no clue what my ADTs are yet. I read they have to be about 5 years old before you can tell the gender...is that right? I'm having an issue with one of them though. I don't know if it's being aggressive with the others or just accidentally pushing them over. They are not even yearlings yet. I got some video of it today and I'm going to upload it to YT later on and then post it here for opinions. It's hot here today! Whew! LOL I'm in the north valley.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Their first time in the dichondra. I have since removed the red bricks so they can graze anytime they are outside in their habitat now.

AMAZING! Can you recommend TFO, that would help all those with bad tort info & care :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Michele
Torts are don't live in groups . They are loaners . Evan mothers don't live in groups , they lay their eggs and walk away . So they see any tort as compation to food , water . And ADT is (don't feel bad I had to ask also) AZ
Desert tort . Have a great tort day .

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Michele
Torts are don't live in groups . They are loaners . Evan mothers don't live in groups , they lay their eggs and walk away . So they see any tort as compation to food , water . And ADT is (don't feel bad I had to ask also) AZ
Desert tort . Have a great tort day .

I thought maybe since they were hatchlings & I didn't want to talk till I have more info :p btw when do you separate torts?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
As soon as you see problems it may be as small laying in food or laying and staring at each other . But with desert torts it may be sooner then other torts .