Christmas Present

Dan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Good pictures, interesting information. Condescending author, though.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
I don't find him condescending...just a typical German. I was a German major in school and have a lot of German relatives and friends so his tone doesn't rub me the wrong way...but I can totally see how it can be taken the wrong way.

Fraser

I have this, expensive book but I really found it useful. He has very high standards, Reading the book makes me feel like a complete failure! He says that a tortoise can never be a 'pet' in the way other animals can.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Weghaupt is a nice guy which some people seem surprised to find out based on some of the things he says in his book. The book is great and coming from one Hermann's nut to another, he's quite open to things. I've always thought he pushes the high standards in hopes to deter some of the impulsive buyers who end up doing a terrible job at keeping these animals which results in unwanted "pets". One thing is for sure, his way is not the only way to do it. We aim to provide all of our tortoises with very naturalistic outdoor environments but we've also had great success keeping them indoors for extended periods and breeding/egg laying/fertility never misses a beat. I recommend the book to any serious Hermann's tortoise keeper but have an open mind when reading it, there are several of us that are living proof that it doesn't have to be done exactly the way he claims.

Fraser

Weghaupt is a nice guy which some people seem surprised to find out based on some of the things he says in his book. The book is great and coming from one Hermann's nut to another, he's quite open to things. I've always thought he pushes the high standards in hopes to deter some of the impulsive buyers who end up doing a terrible job at keeping these animals which results in unwanted "pets". One thing is for sure, his way is not the only way to do it. We aim to provide all of our tortoises with very naturalistic outdoor environments but we've also had great success keeping them indoors for extended periods and breeding/egg laying/fertility never misses a beat. I recommend the book to any serious Hermann's tortoise keeper but have an open mind when reading it, there are several of us that are living proof that it doesn't have to be done exactly the way he claims.
Thanks for these comments. It is good to know that you think there are other ways. I especially like his photos of natural environments and accompanying analysis of how best to recreate them. I have spend a good deal of time working out how to apply his advice to my garden.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
The possibilities are endless and if you're looking for tips and ideas you can visit my Hermann's site and check out the care and maintenance section for photos and info:

hermannihaven.com