Hermann's Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
I read a lot before I got my tortoises about their diet. I bought some Mazuri (that's what I was told they have been eating) but they don't seem to like it. They have been chowing down on dandelion greens and orchard grass.

Some people online don't like the prepared diets...are they needed or is fresh greens with calcium supplements enough nutrition?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
hi, welcome. prepared diets aren't necessary but a lot of people use them. as part of a varied diet they seem to be okay.

fresh greens are necessary.

calcium supplement is another thing a lot of people use but some people don't. some offer cuttlebone, other sources of calcium, and some rely solely on calcium taken in from greens and weeds, grasses and other outdoor graze.

you'll learn a lot here and try what works for you and develop your own method.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Pellet foods should not be their staple diet. Mazuri fine to feed to Hermann's once a week or so as a supplement to their regular diet but it is not a complete diet. A good diet content for Hermann's should varied and contain quality foods such as clover, dandelion, plantain, crown vetch, sow thistle, lambsquarter and other wild weeds along with grocery store greens including chicory, endive, escarole, romaine, beet greens, mustard greens, carrot tops and occasionally some spinach, kale, cabbage and other greens. Vegetables can consist (but not be limited to): pumpkin, squashes, carrot, sweet potato and sparingly green and yellow beans, peas and corn.
I feed mine a diet consisting of 80-85% greens & 15-20% vegetables along with Mazuri mixed with those greens once a week. They also have timothy hay available to them 24/7 to browse on, which they do occasionally.
A source of calcium is also important. With young tortoises, under 3-4" powdered calcium carbonate usually works well. I do not coat their food with it but offer it 24/7 in a small shallow dish for them to consume at will. For medium and larger tortoises broken up cuttlebone works well.
An absolute key to good health is keeping a tortoise well hydrated. Clean drinking water should either be available at all times or tortoises should be watered (soaked) in a seperate container outside their enclosure frequently.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Ok thanks for the info. I have been soaking them and they always drink then defecate in the water. The bowl in their enclosure seems to get dirty 5 minutes after I change it...is ok to only soak them 3-4 times a week and omit the bowl from their enclosure?

Watermelon

5 Year Member
I feed weeds every day apart from one day a week I may feed pellets... only the pellets because its getting cold and the weeds are disappearing outside.

The ONLY veg I feed... is a rare once a blue moon treat and that is blended butternut squash. Veg isnt really good for Hermanns.... its okay very occasionally but I stay away... same with salad bags too. I grow my own weeds and plants indoors and have back up dried weeds to sprinkle on their food too for extra variety. I sprinkle calcium dust every other day and they have their cuttlefish bone in too which they occasionally have a nibble on when they want.

Bathing wise.... mine are over a year now but I still bathe them everyday.... and they always have their water bath available in their enclosure which they like to paddle and drink from during the day. I noticed the nearer the water bath is to the megaray the more they use it. :D

P.S a water bath should ALWAYS be available in their table.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
I make my own "spring mix''. I have a local co op that sells all sorts of yummy things that I mix together for the week. Here are some things I add:

Red romaine, green romaine, Red oak, a teeny bit of spinach every other week, a LITTLE bit of dandelion greens, green oak, beet greens, kale, mustard greens, collards. I also use some maple leaves right off the trees here in VT. I typically cut everything in HALF. i dont mince anything. My tort, Ava, likes to "graze" throughout the day, so i leave the greens mostly whole, and placed in her enclosure for the day. The above diet costs me about 5 bucks to make. You can buy all the stuff per pound, so you can feed much more cost efficiently.
Anyway, Ava is a baby hatch-ling. I soak her for about ten minutes every day, and provide a water dish with fresh clean water at all times. I sprinkle calcium on her food about every other day or so. Spinach and dandelion are said to prohibit the absorption of calcium, so I only use a little bit, just enough to get her appetite going. I personally do not use the Mazuri, so I have no input on it either way.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Raymo2477 said:
I read a lot before I got my tortoises about their diet. I bought some Mazuri (that's what I was told they have been eating) but they don't seem to like it. They have been chowing down on dandelion greens and orchard grass.

Some people online don't like the prepared diets...are they needed or is fresh greens with calcium supplements enough nutrition?

Mine get Marion tortoise sticks, soaked and mixed w/ dried weeds/greens 2X a week, spring mix 2x a week, cactus pads 2x a week and some green leafy vegetable (differs from week to week, but can be collard greens, beet greens, mustard greens, and/or radish greens, etc. This is their inside diet, when outside, all that plus various weeds, grasses and greens that grow in their enclosure.

Variety is the key.

BTW, cactus pads have a lot of calcium in them.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Raymo2477 said:
Ok thanks for the info. I have been soaking them and they always drink then defecate in the water. The bowl in their enclosure seems to get dirty 5 minutes after I change it...is ok to only soak them 3-4 times a week and omit the bowl from their enclosure?

Yes, it is.

Watermelon

5 Year Member
Raymo2477 said:

Erm I would say no. Its not okay.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I feed pellets one day a week just vary Tiagos' diet abit...
I would not use them as a staple diet :/

nnaaddiinnee

5 Year Member
North-East Scotland
I wouldn't advise keeping any animal without access to fresh water.
I provide a water bowl because when my tort is thirsty/hot she can have a drink or a soak anytime, instead of just getting it when I decide to bath her.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
nnaaddiinnee said:
I provide a water bowl because when my tort is thirsty/hot she can have a drink or a soak anytime, instead of just getting it when I decide to bath her.

I totally agree with this advise. How would you like to wait, until I decided it was time for you to get a soak or a drink of water? When your thirsty your thirsty, same with a tortoise.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Jacqui said:
nnaaddiinnee said:

I totally agree with this advise. How would you like to wait, until I decided it was time for you to get a soak or a drink of water? When your thirsty your thirsty, same with a tortoise.

2nd this...besides, how long can it take to wash out a water dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.