Help we are going on a long 9 hr drive

jeneliza

Location (City and/or State)
burton michigan
Alot of vets that see reptiles, will board, as well, and it's best if you can to hire someone to take care of them if you can find someone who does this, however if you must travel with them use a rubbermade tub with a lid, and use substrate, and hand warmers, wrapped up in a towel or something like that, this will keep it warm, maybe not to the best temperature, however warm enough to keep them alive and not sickly,

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Alot of vets that see reptiles, will board, as well, and it's best if you can to hire someone to take care of them if you can find someone who does this, however if you must travel with them use a rubbermade tub with a lid, and use substrate, and hand warmers, wrapped up in a towel or something like that, this will keep it warm, maybe not to the best temperature, however warm enough to keep them alive and not sickly,
If its in the car i think u could just turn the heat up.. not gonna be in the back of a pick up truck

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
I just dont understand why its so bad and deadly to travel w a tortoise for a week ..yet there are breeders on here that bring there torts to shows and thats ok

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just dont understand why its so bad and deadly to travel w a tortoise for a week ..yet there are breeders on here that bring there torts to shows and thats ok
Necessary evil, but it takes a toll on the tortoises.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Id say there‘s a big difference between
1. transporting a tort from A to B in a small plastic tub (then tort goes into a nice large enclosure) AND
2. transporting a tort in small container to a location....(but no large enclosure). Does this tort just hang out in a ghe small transport container?

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Necessary evil, but it takes a toll on the tortoises.
Tom.. believe me i respect and envy all ur knowledge . But sometimes ppl dont feel comfortable leaving there animals alone for a week without anyone there to watch over them. Sometimes its also a necessary evil to take them along with you.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
1. transporting a tort from A to B in a small plastic tub (then tort goes into a nice large enclosure) AND
2. transporting a tort in small container to a location....(but no large enclosure). Does this tort just hang out in a ghe small transport container?
I mean obviously its not ok to keep it in a tiny container but if u an bring a good size tub and get it outside for some exercise everyday then i dont see a prob

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
And im sorry.. i didnt mean to turn this thread into a debatable topic.

jeneliza

burton michigan
[/QUOTwell this depends on where you are traveling, to and from, here we had 40 mile he wind and I high of 40, most of the day was below 40, tommorow it's going to 38, no wind but snow showers, Monday was 55, so i speak from my point of the weather, here it's a risk to not have the warmers, if something where to happen, they would most definitely get way to cold with the temperature here lately

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
What I do is I buy a large rubber maid storage container about 4 by 2.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom.. believe me i respect and envy all ur knowledge . But sometimes ppl dont feel comfortable leaving there animals alone for a week without anyone there to watch over them. Sometimes its also a necessary evil to take them along with you.
It should not be left alone for a week, but the tortoise will be happiest of left at home, with someone checking on it and feeding it once every day or two.

What if everyone said: "I can't leave it home. It has to come with me."? I'd be hauling 50 tortoises around with me all over the country.

Type out a whole treatise for me on how to travel on a week long trip with a total of 18 hours of driving with 5 sulcatas (80-100 points each), and 25 other large adult tortoises... What about my snakes and Ackies? All my tarantulas and roach colonies? Can I bring them too? I'm down to 8 dogs but three of them are small. Then there are my 7 birds. OH! And my daughter's crested gecko and tarantula. We can't leave them behind either...

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
It should not be left alone for a week, but the tortoise will be happiest of left at home, with someone checking on it and feeding it once every day or two.

What if everyone said: "I can't leave it home. It has to come with me."? I'd be hauling 50 tortoises around with me all over the country.

Type out a whole treatise for me on how to travel on a week long trip with a total of 18 hours of driving with 5 sulcatas (80-100 points each), and 25 other large adult tortoises... What about my snakes and Ackies? All my tarantulas and roach colonies? Can I bring them too? I'm down to 8 dogs but three of them are small. Then there are my 7 birds. OH! And my daughter's crested gecko and tarantula. We can't leave them behind either...
Im just saying .. this guy has one tortoise and says he has nobody to watch it. I dont think he should be pulverized because he wants to bring it along. Do u really think a healthy tort is going to get sick from a trip ? Im sorry.. like u said when its necessity to make money off of them its ok .. but if ur worried about ur tort its not ok?.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im just saying .. this guy has one tortoise and says he has nobody to watch it. I dont think he should be pulverized because he wants to bring it along. Do u really think a healthy tort is going to get sick from a trip ? Im sorry.. like u said when its necessity to make money off of them its ok .. but if ur worried about ur tort its not ok?.
And I'm saying there is always somebody to watch it. Its just one tort. It couldn't be easier. You can hire people to come check on your pet nowadays. They have apps for that.

Nobody is pulverizing anybody. The OP asked for our thoughts and we've shared them.

And yes, it would be very easy for a healthy tortoise to get sick on a week long trip between the stress and the temperatures. Which is another point about the pro. A professional tortoise seller going to the show has developed many ways to minimize the stress and transport them safely. Their livelihood depends on it. Also, there is a good reason to bring this year's babies to the show for sale, while there isn't a good reason to bring an established adult on vacation.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Well .. we can agree to disagree. Idk how anyone knows how a tortoise feels ( including me) if there is proof of a tortoise getting sick from travel then fine im wrong.