Help: russian tortoise slowed down suddenly

Geng

5 Year Member
Like 1,5 month ago my tortoise (russian, female, 3 years) used to be extremely active. She would roam around before the lamps were on. When I came home from work she would've made a total mess of her enclosure: food all over the place, moved her hides and holes in the substrate. Even my parents in the other room could hear my tortoise "playing".

However, she slowed down alot the past 1 - 2 weeks. For 3 days she hasn't come out her hide to eat. Yesterday I took her out of her hide and placed her on the basking spot. She slept/bask for a hour, and then I soaked her for 30 min. I put down some food, but she slept for another 30 min. When she woke up she would nimble on her food a bit, but moved back to her hide.

I'm lost in her sudden change of behaviour. Few things did happen which may have affected her:
- She got a new MVB, same brand and watt.
- She got a new and bigger hide, which she really likes because she stays there the whole day.
- My mom / little brother took care of her when I was on a 1-week vacation last week. She was soaked 1 or 2 times when I was gone, did eat a little but didn't came out her hide often. When I got home I gave her a soak, and she looked normal.
- Weather got a liiiitle bit cooler. Temps used to be around or above 25C, but these weeks it dropped to just above 20C. Still sunny and all, and I take her outside during weekends when the weather is good.

Info:

- Russian, female, almost 3 years (?)
- Open table enclosure, coco coir substrate, 3 hides, UVB lamp 80W + heat bulb 50W, slate under the heat bulb to warm her up
- Temps: basking 100F, warm 80 - 90F, cool 70F+
- Soak days on Friday, saturday and sunday. Sometimes wednesday if I can make it to work on time.
- Food is mostly from supermarket, like kale, spring mix and endive. She also get her favorite dandelions and sow thistles 2x a week.
- Had 2 vet visit since I had her (2-3 years). First visit for her runny nose, and second for her hibernation behaviour. Did get some panacur because she had some worms.

Help please!

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
Could you post so some pictures of her and her enclosure? It might help.
It could be the new hide but I find that very unlikely, other than that I have no idea.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Yeah, I've had a negative experience with my mom taking care of Artemis (Red Footed) for a week while I was away. She claimed that she had done everything that i had asked, and that she read the care sheet that i made for her...
She started lecturing me about how Artemis needs time playing outside to be happy.
Well, ok, mom....
Unfortunately I found out later that she secretly took Artemis to a park nearby and let some local kids carry her around and play with her...!!!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Yeah, I've had a negative experience with my mom taking care of Artemis (Red Footed) for a week while I was away. She claimed that she had done everything that i had asked, and that she read the care sheet that i made for her...
She started lecturing me about how Artemis needs time playing outside to be happy.
Well, ok, mom....
Unfortunately I found out later that she secretly took Artemis to a park nearby and let some local kids carry her around and play with her...!!!
My sister did something similar to that. She had her friends over once, and when I came back to my bedroom from going to the bathroom I witnessed my sister picking him up an passing him around to her friends. He peed everywhere (goodbye hydration!) and they started freaking out. I've told my sister so many times not to pick him up.

Geng

5 Year Member
Well, ok, mom....

Wooh, not a smart move of your mom...

How much did it affect your tortoise? Did you notice a change in behaviour when you got home?

Because after I came back from my holiday, my tortoise has lost its appitite and stays in her hide the whole day.