Are tortoises slowing down these days?

Geng

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I notice that my russian of 2 years has slowed down alot the past 1,5 month. She sleeps alooot, and she can sleep the whole day or even days if I don't wake her up for a soak. Even after a 30 - 40 min warm soak she goes to bed instead of eating the food that I've put down for her. She does eat when I feed her dandelions, which is only once a week.

Outside it has pretty chilly lately. The temps outside are between 15-8C. I've read that it is common for russians to slow down during the cold months, or is it just mine? I don't want to hibernate her.

What can I do to make her more active and eat her food? I'm soaking her now daily for 30 minutes, and I've gotten a new 100W heat bulb for some better light and heat. Yet nothing changes. I do notice that she is alert during her soaks under a 50W heat lamp.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think that in some regions, the change in weather and temperature are indeed slowing down some tortoises.
Here in south Florida, my tortoises are now much more active since they don't need to hide in the afternoon heat and can spend more time out roaming and looking for food.
Just the opposite.
It's all about location.;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
With the shortening days, many torts are slowing down and mentally preparing themselves for hibernation.

If you don't intend to hibernate yours then make sure your lights are bright, on for 14 hours, and that the temperatures are spot on. The change in season can affect enclosure temperatures, so it's important to double check.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Warmer temps, longer light cycles, and adding a full spectrum florescent tube or two will all make them want to stay awake. The daily warm soaks help too. Simulate summer temps and light cycles.