Inactive Russian tortoise?

John Franzwa

Hi my Russian tortoise Shelly used to move around a lot more but ever since i got her 2 more hides, now she has 3 hides. She hides more, she still comes out to eat but barely basks it's been going on for 3 days now, she is also eating less. Maybe I could change up her food. Her favorite hide is on the hot side and has hay inside of it. Please help, and thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What size enclosure does she have? You should not use hay as a substrate, it's very drying. Tortoises need some humidity. An adult Russian would do good with around 50% or at least a humid hide. If the enclosure is too small then they don't get enough exercise and adding too more hides will take up more roaming room. One hide in the cooler end is fine for a Russian. They can have lower temps at night. If you make it a humid hide, then leave it on the Warner end. Try removing the two extra hides

John Franzwa

What size enclosure does she have? You should not use hay as a substrate, it's very drying. Tortoises need some humidity. An adult Russian would do good with around 50% or at least a humid hide. If the enclosure is too small then they don't get enough exercise and adding too more hides will take up more roaming room. One hide in the cooler end is fine for a Russian. They can have lower temps at night. If you make it a humid hide, then leave it on the Warner end. Try removing the two extra hides

Ok, :) the substrate is Eco earth and the hay is just in one of the hides. The enclosure is 5 by 3 feet and the humidity is usually from 45-60 it's sorta tricky to maintain at exactly 50 she gets one bath a week and food is changed every couple weeks or sometimes every day even!