help pretty please! (bumps inside scutes)

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hello,

I still cant keep it up, I have cyprus mulch and spagram moss on top. No matter wat it always drops down to 30. I love him but dont want to kill him. Someone told me red foots were the eaiset to keep up. Im thinking not. poor guy. Ive tried eerything thats suggested.

Trisha, not trying to sound dumb but is the probe for the hygrometer inside the enclosure? I know... but sillier things have happened!

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
Ha! Love your chill out:) its 3×2 I do have that zoo med felt stuff underneath then mulch and moss. I just bought a zoo med digital reader for temps/humitity. How do you keep your mulch moist? Unfortunately I have a woooden box tortiose house. So I'm afraid it will mold or something. I spray thr mulch but it doesn't last long. Temps stay at 85 cool side and 99 other. Thanks for all your help.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ha! Love your chill out:) its 3×2 I do have that zoo med felt stuff underneath then mulch and moss. I just bought a zoo med digital reader for temps/humitity. How do you keep your mulch moist? Unfortunately I have a woooden box tortiose house. So I'm afraid it will mold or something. I spray thr mulch but it doesn't last long. Temps stay at 85 cool side and 99 other. Thanks for all your help.
Hi
99 is to high. 82 to 91 maximum. For Humidity I have moistened all my coco coir and made a layer about 2"deep all over, Then I put a layer of cyprus mulch on top with some spagnhum moss and sprayed it all down. I have three small shallow ponds, one is under my CHE so it constantly evaporates, the other two are away from heat source. My CHE does not heat the water to a hot temperature just luke warm. Then daily I spray the substrate and any hides or logs I have in there. I have tested it and not sprayed for 3 days and still it didn't drop below %80. We spray daily to keep it at 99% humidity.
What are you using for your heat source and do you have a thermostat.
Some photos for you to look at. Only thing I'm not happy with is I have full glass on the front. Think I'm going to paint up about 3" from bottom of glass on the outside. However they have been in here for about 4 months now and seem to be happy. I do not have a hot spot, you'll notice my 150watt CHE is high up creating an ambient temperature and hopefully even growth. I have a 10%uvb strip bulb half the length of the viv so they always have a darker end. This viv is 2x4ft and 2ft high. My torts are about 3" to 3.5" in size.
You need to line your environment with a plastic sheet like a pond liner to stop it rotting.

photo 5 (2).JPG photo.JPG

photo 3 (5).JPG photo 1 (3).JPG IMG_8813.jpeg photo 1 (1).JPG photo 1 (2).JPG photo 1 (8).JPG photo 4 (8).JPG

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
Aw. So jealous. Your set up is too cute! I'm going to line it with something this weekend. And try your way.Hopefully he will be okay for a couple more days. Another question? What kind of plants do you have. i have some xmas cactus. They were the only thing I could find since this was a christmas gift and I live in il.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Aw. So jealous. Your set up is too cute! I'm going to line it with something this weekend. And try your way.Hopefully he will be okay for a couple more days. Another question? What kind of plants do you have. i have some xmas cactus. They were the only thing I could find since this was a christmas gift and I live in il.
Hi Trisha

All my plants are fake. The 2 in pots were real but i've took them out because they were dying. All my fake plants are off the ground so torts have more room but have cover too, also one of my fake vines blocks some of the uvb light out so its not to bright., I spray the plants aswell as the substrate to create humidity. Your enclosure looks good, just needs some minor adjustments. If you use a CHE(ceramic heat emitter) you must use a ceramic bulb holder not a plastic one. Do you use a thermostat.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Also where in your environment have you been checking the humidity.

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
Hm. Thermostat. I google it. I guess not. Not something they sell in petsmart? Can you explain it really quick? Pretty please:) It was not recommended by the seller.

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
ah. Petsmart is all out if stock. Ill look somewhere else. I thought I reaserched everything and had this under control.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi trisha

Hows it going. Can you post some photos of your enclosure. Close up photos so we can see what you already have. It looks like you have a uvb strip bulb and 2 other bulbs. Is that correct.

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
Yes I have uvb. Then day/night combo. He has a hamster house cause hes not very smart and kept flipping hisself off everything. I put a small bowl of water with moss on top to try to help. I know I should have more water and hides now. Can't line it till this weekend. I'm frustrated I thought if I listened to the company selling him everything would be good. Now I have to buy all new stuff.

Attachments

• 20150224_211747.jpg
    20150224_211747.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 20150224_211743.jpg
    20150224_211743.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20150224_211723.jpg
    20150224_211723.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20150224_211735.jpg
    20150224_211735.jpg
    977.7 KB · Views: 24

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes I have uvb. Then day/night combo. He has a hamster house cause hes not very smart and kept flipping hisself off everything. I put a small bowl of water with moss on top to try to help. I know I should have more water and hides now. Can't line it till this weekend. I'm frustrated I thought if I listened to the company selling him everything would be good. Now I have to buy all new stuff.
Hi again

How come there is no water in both dishes.
If that was me I'd take everything out,put your substrate in a container and save it. Then line the bottom with a strong water proof sheet(pond liner) and come up the sides at least 3" with it. You are best stapling it to the wood. on the sides making sure staples are flush so tort can't cut himself.
Then put a layer of damp coco coir in and then put your old substrate back ontop of that making sure that is damp to, not sodden wet through just moist.
You need to change the water dishes every day and you need a slate or flat rock to put his/her food on. Put extra sphagnum moss in the hide too. Then make sure you have a heat decline from one end to the other. i'd say ideally 82f to 90f. 82f being the hide end and the 90f being the heated end with uvb. Heat should be from same place as light just like the sun would be.
When you get that right then you can mess around with plants and obstacles. etc

The upper part of your environment will eventually rot with humidity, but will take quite a while. At some stage you will need a larger enclosure anyway so the lifespan of you existing enclosure is not too important unless you are getting more torts:). I'm already hitting this stage with my 3 juveniles. They are starting to be more active at 10 months so going to need more space soon.

Post some more pics when you get sorted. :)

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
Thanks! Your scaring me with the new enclosure thing. the other dish was his food but I do have a rock I can put in there. The rest will have to wait till saturday. Will post pics asap. :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
;l
Thanks! Your scaring me with the new enclosure thing. the other dish was his food but I do have a rock I can put in there. The rest will have to wait till saturday. Will post pics asap. :)
Not sure of minimum size for a fully grown redfoot. Maybe @cdmay or @HLogic can advise that.
Sorry didn't mean to scare you, but bet knowing the truth. :p:)

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Yikes! For an adult RF, I would suggest nothing less than 240 sq ft (22 sq meters). In reality, I'm not sure I would attempt an indoor enclosure unless it was a separate structure or at least an entire room that could be configured properly.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
See I didn't mean to make you scared, @HLogic meant it. lol :). Only joking. 240 sq ft is 15x16ft for example. Good news is if you have 10 adults you don't need 2400 sq ft. lol

At some stage you are going to need to let your tort outside to wander in a safe area. I'm not sure on your climate and how you would accommodate this where you live.
I am building a purpose built building of about 400sq ft to accommodate mine in winter months. Not cheap to run. Where do you live and what is your annual climate like, maybe someone can give you some suggestions.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
See I didn't mean to make you scared, @HLogic meant it. lol :). Only joking. 240 sq ft is 15x16ft for example. Good news is if you have 10 adults you don't need 2400 sq ft. lol

At some stage you are going to need to let your tort outside to wander in a safe area. I'm not sure on your climate and how you would accommodate this where you live.
I am building a purpose built building of about 400sq ft to accommodate mine in winter months. Not cheap to run. Where do you live and what is your annual climate like, maybe someone can give you some suggestions.

You are correct! For my 10 outdoor RF's, I have 3375 sq ft. (45' x 75') but that is probably more than necessary even though they use ALL of it...

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You are correct! For my 10 outdoor RF's, I have 3375 sq ft. (45' x 75') but that is probably more than necessary even though they use ALL of it...
Nice, do you have any photos, what about an indoor area or don't you need one. I have about the same outdoor area available when I get it more secure. However I will be lucky if they can have 4 months a yr outside over here. So got to imitate a savanna and jungle indoors.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
They are outside all year. I have two 12' x 3' x 3' (L x W x H) heated refugia for the cold spells and corral the torts into them when the temps are due to drop below 50ish.