Help My babys sick!! need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MICHIGAN
Hi Everyone,

i need some help. My Chewy seems to be sick. He is over 50 pounds, and is sulcatta tortoise. It weird, he is eating fine and moving fine, however about 5 days ago he had some discharge come out of one of his nostrils and its bubbly...then after that nothing till yesterday where it did it again. only one of his nostrils and its a clear bubbly discharge. His eyes are clears. hes eating and drinking fine. i believe it might be an upper respitory infection, but because its so sporatic not sure. Any advise would be appreciated a vet trip is expensive and i am single mom and funds are very tight right now, So if there is anything i can do from home and help him get better pleaselet me know.

Thank You

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've said this before and got jumped on, but I'm going to say it again:

I think we're too quick to hop on the antibiotic band wagon. If there's nothing more than a sporadic bubbly nose or discharge, then just adopt a wait and see attitude. If the tortoise stops eating or if the discharge turns thick and colored, then its time for the vet and antibiotics. Note to everyone, not just the OP: If the tortoise is in the house, raise your temperatures a bit. If he's outside, don't let him get cold if the weather temp drops. An additional CHE inside the tortoise house would be a good idea.

As long as he's eating and acting normal, then just give him some time.

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with Yvonne, I think because we all know that a tort is sick for a long time before he shows any signs of illness that if there's the slightest discharge from his nose we all jump on the he must have an URTI bandwagon...Sporadic bubbles is not a sign of a resp infection especially when separated by a few weeks. Thick discolored mucous is a sign.
I don't think Chewy is sick, but I am not a Vet. If he were mine I would put him in his house and raise his temps somewhat. Does he live in a shed? Are you in Calif or a cold state? If you live in a cold state make sure you keep him in under an almost hot temp. I wouldn't have his cool side less then 80 degrees and his hot side 100 to 105. He's acting normal, so he probably is not sick so stop worrying and think about taking my suggestions.
OK...Michigan so keep him in and warm. How do you have him set up? Is he in his own shed?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Solving this problem is often as simple as raising your temps and making sure you don't have a night temp drop for a while. We all agree. :)

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Thank you for the reply's and advise. He is inside he has his own room in my home for the winter. His basking spot is at 100 degrees and his cold side is between about 78 and 80. So i will raise his temps a bit and see if that helps. any other suggestions welcome.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree also with Yvonne, Maggie, and Tom. Just keep him nice and warm and make sure he doesn't get chilled. I would raise the cool part of his room to about 85*.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.