need advice on week old babys

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauradxb

5 Year Member
Hi,

I am pet sitting a lovley girl (age 7, 25kgs) her mate was stolen a few months ago.

I have found 9 new hatchlings that the owner did not know where coming! i have read & re read Toms great stickie about caring for them but have a few more questions.

We live in the middle east & its summer! so very hot (45C). I have brought the babys to my house they are currently in a large pet cage on a mix of sand & soil with a bit of hay to hid in etc.. and are eating chopped local lettuce & spring mix, grated cucumber & zuchini. I soak them morning & evening for approx 20 mins. & move the cage outside for a hour am & pm when its cooler (about 35C).

They dont all seem to be eating well, how much should they be eating?
Is it ok for them to be with out the heat lights etc.. as its so warm already? i would say in the room they are in the temp is about 30C.

Is it ok to keep them altogether or should i look into seperating them?

Any top tips would be great.
Thanks in advance
Laura

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) I will leave your questions to the breeders on here. Good luck and how lucky.

lauradxb

5 Year Member
Thank you! And we are really loving having them but a bit crazy, they bring our pet count upto 21!

Attachments

• image-2510196685.png
    image-2510196685.png
    975 KB · Views: 7

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a fun surprise! :D First is the sand just a small percent of your substrate? Like 20% or less. I am asking because low levels of sand are fine contrary to a lot of fear out there, but once you start getting too much sand, yes it can have the potential for danger, much like any substrate.

Second instead of hay, which to me hay means harsh, dry, easy to mold, not good to hold humidity levels, stiff pointy strands of older grasses, I think you would be much better off, if you could find some nice long strand sphagnum moss for the hiding area. Even you may want to make a humid hide.

When your taking them outside for their sunshine, can they escape into shade? With such tiny little body mass, they can over heat (and die) very quickly and easily. So just watch them very carefully, because the do need the sunshine. They can all stay together for now.

How young are they? Do any still have the sacks on their bellies?

It's 86 degrees if I changed the 30C over correctly. Does the room stay that warm down at their level in their enclosure all the time or is it actually cooler there? In cases like this, guessing isn't really helpful. You really need to use an accurate temperature gauge. Are they getting any light?

lauradxb

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I would say the sand is about 20% when they get older they will live on sand & grass outside, that's all we have here. I got hay from the pet shop for rabbits etc.. So it's very soft but I will see what else I can find, I can't imagine finding any moss here so any others you suggest? I will try more pet shops but all I have found so far is shavings, hay and shredded newspaper.

Yes when outside they are just in the shade under a tree so only spots of sun.

They are in a small bathroom with the window open so it's warm and about 50-80% humidity this time of year. Yes the temp is the same in the cage. Just checked the weather and the low temp is 39 and high of 48 so a bit warmer than I said. I will get a thermometer tomorrow to keep a eye on it.

Thanks for your help!
Laura

lauradxb

5 Year Member
Forgot to say I am not really sure about the sacks. A couple of them did have a fleshy thing on underside, all gone now but you can see where it was. Does that make sense?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
lauradxb said:
Forgot to say I am not really sure about the sacks. A couple of them did have a fleshy thing on underside, all gone now but you can see where it was. Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense. So they have absorbed all the nutrients from those and they have dried and dropped off. Just making sure that had nothing to do with why they were not eating.

The long strand sphagnum moss is some times easier to find at a plant nursery or garden center.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Welcome! I don't know much about how to care for hatchlings but from what you are describing I would say the yolk sack has been used and that where the yolk sack was, it is now healing. I also think that they should start eating more now but I do not know how much. You can pm some of the breeders on this site, like Tom, Austin (AZSULCATA, or something like that) there are others also but I have not talked to them so I can't say who they are, anyhow, they will answer all of your questions and are very knowledgeable. I hope this helps a little.:)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Alright. First thing is do you know the actual hatch day? Typically if hated out in the ground they are going to spend a little getting out.

If they have the sac still they are pretty fresh. This can take up to a week sometimes for them to suck up. This is theyre way of getting food while in the egg. They typically wont eat when freshly hacthed or recently hatched and still have the sac. Ounce they suck the sac up and unfold then you need to start soaking them3-4 times a day. Keep them very humid, warm and moist at this stage. I would definitely elimate the sand. place them on a paper towl for a few days then move them to some dirt, but no sand. It sticks to them and they can also injest it, which would not be good. At this point I would soak then offer the food to them. But if they still have a sac they need to be placed in a warm, humid environment so they can suck the sac entirely up, then they will begin to walk, run, and be very active and eat like little tanks. I would try to not allow them yet in the 45 degree weather thats pretty hot. 35 degress would be just perfect for the next month or so. Basically what we need to do for these guys is to let them finish the hatching process, before you will start to see them become active and eating.

lauradxb

5 Year Member
Thanks guys for all the help!

I have found more so we are upto 13, they have moved into a overturned wardrobe with potting soil with a little sweet soil (kind of sand) mixed in. Thats all i have been able to find, all pet shops & vets have nothing that looks anything like the suggestions. They have moved Outside in the car port so only a hour or 2 of early morning sun, its the end of summer here so very humid. They seem happier!! and are eating well.

I have more questions about weights etc. So will be posting that later.

Laura

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
You have 13? Wow, thats gotta be fun, just wait til they are all 50+ pounds or 20+kg ( not really sure what you go by over there). Where did you day you were getting them from? Just follow everyones advice like you have been and you will have some healthy animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.