Help.. Is my Red Foot SICK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I thought my Tyrone was having a lazy day, I may be over reacting... He is sleeping a lot the last three days, mostly under his basking spot so I added another heat lamp to bring the temps up to 97-103 on the warm side and 77-83 on the cool side. He is soaking everyday and up until this morning he was eating his Mazuri, but just nibbled alittle on the kale. Today he didn't touch the Mazuri but ate some tomato soaked and went back to his hot spot. Humidity is about 75% I am in Ohio and it is cooler than usual. So I added a heater to the room he is in so room temp is 70-75

Is this normal seasonal change or could he be sick. He is just sleeping a lot. And doesn't go in his hide at all just sleeps under the hot spot

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Well what has his routine been lately? Tomato is not good to feed. 97-103 is way to hot for a redfoot. 77-83 is perfect temperature all around for these guys. Humidity is good. Do you have UVB source for him? as well as what is your main diet you feed him? What substrate do you have him on? Sometimes tortoises do have lazy days.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Well what has his routine been lately? Tomato is not good to feed. 97-103 is way to hot for a redfoot. 77-83 is perfect temperature all around for these guys. Humidity is good. Do you have UVB source for him? as well as what is your main diet you feed him? What substrate do you have him on? Sometimes tortoises do have lazy days.

I add more heat because we have not turned on furnace yet and it is cold in the house
I have Eco earth and coconut bark 60/40 mix and yes I have UVB he eats a variety of kale collards parsley spring mix Mazuri zucchini squash dandelion pepper and once in a great while tomato strawberry blackberry apple

Nothin has changed as far as husbandry and routine .. Light comes on around 8 am his soaking dish gets washed and filled he gets fed he usually comes running for a soak and them eats and patrols his enclosure the. It's nap time and in the afternoon I change his water and he usually like to soak again ... The last three days he has wanted to sleep he gets up soaks eats and sleeps all day ... Today he hasn't eaten much he just sleeps. He did soak and went back to sleep... I thought he was just having a lazy day but it has been three and I tend to worry

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is today the only day? If so, wait until tomorrow and see how he acts. Sometimes they will have a lazy day. Just be sure you get all temps and humidity to where they are suppose to be. Is he pooping? Is he soaking himself long enough. Are you still giving him warm soaks?

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Is today the only day? If so, wait until tomorrow and see how he acts. Sometimes they will have a lazy day. Just be sure you get all temps and humidity to where they are suppose to be. Is he pooping? Is he soaking himself long enough. Are you still giving him warm soaks?

I am giving him warm soaks, that's the first thing I thought to do and yes he is pooping .... He has been lazy for three days, today is the first day he didn't eat much

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hmmmm. Sounds like you have everything covered. This is very unusual in terms of this time of year as well. How cold is the house? Is the air cold inside the house just around the enclosure? Could you try testing more than one spot in the room close to enclosure as well as under it. Alot of times the thermometer reading under the bulbs and in the enclosure will give good results but if the ambient air is cold this can cause some mixtures and spike the tortoise to not want to eat because of the lack of digestion. Tortoises need to be up around 75-80 degrees BODY temperature to digest food. Maybe the ambient air is throwing him off. Do you have some heat pads to use under the enclosure maybe.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Hmmmm. Sounds like you have everything covered. This is very unusual in terms of this time of year as well. How cold is the house? Is the air cold inside the house just around the enclosure? Could you try testing more than one spot in the room close to enclosure as well as under it. Alot of times the thermometer reading under the bulbs and in the enclosure will give good results but if the ambient air is cold this can cause some mixtures and spike the tortoise to not want to eat because of the lack of digestion. Tortoises need to be up around 75-80 degrees BODY temperature to digest food. Maybe the ambient air is throwing him off. Do you have some heat pads to use under the enclosure maybe.

I put a heater fan in the room to bring the temp of the room up to 70-72 .. The house is about 62 ... I can put a heating pad under the enclosure if nessasery

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well Might be a good idea. Then again 62 isnt freezing. Put a pad on the bottom and see what happens. This has got me kinda stumped. I wouldnt think he would not want to eat, because the temps were inconsistent and only 62 in the house, now if it was 52 or 42 in the house that would be alarming. I would try a heat pad to warm the substrate up and see if that makes a noticable difference.

Also forgot to mention. When you add the pad I would lower the heat coming from the bulbs so its not too hot or hotter than it is. Thats pretty warm for a redfoot basking area.

As well to try and measure the areas in the enclosure that are not directly under a bulb or heat source. I think it may just be a matter of needing to stabilize the ambient temperature.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Well Might be a good idea. Then again 62 isnt freezing. Put a pad on the bottom and see what happens. This has got me kinda stumped. I wouldnt think he would not want to eat, because the temps were inconsistent and only 62 in the house, now if it was 52 or 42 in the house that would be alarming. I would try a heat pad to warm the substrate up and see if that makes a noticable difference.

Also forgot to mention. When you add the pad I would lower the heat coming from the bulbs so its not too hot or hotter than it is. Thats pretty warm for a redfoot basking area.

As well to try and measure the areas in the enclosure that are not directly under a bulb or heat source. I think it may just be a matter of needing to stabilize the ambient temperature.

Thank you so much I will try this. I am pretty stumped as well. I am hoping he is just being picky and not sick! I am going to break down and turn on the heat !

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Well made sure his substrate was warm with a heating pad underneath. Soaked him in warm water for 45 mins. He was trying to climb out of soaking tub so I Put him back in his enclosure he went straight to his fresh water and soaked some more. He did not show any interest in his food. He did not poop today either.. Unless he ate it, I have never seen him eat it. He is now under his basking light ... Thoughts?

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I don't want to mislead you in case there really is something wrong, but... I gotta tell you, my red foot has been doing that too off and on since I've had her, which is 3 years. Usually it's around the change of seasons (I'm in Canada) and lasts for a few days then its back to her routine. Have you changed anything in his enclosure? Moved some plants around? I re-did Princesse's landscaping and for the past 3 days she's been sleeping in the open in her "forest". She does that every time I change something in there, she spends hours roaming and "trying out" new spots to bask and hang. She also got a clean bill of health from the vet 3 weeks ago so I know she's healthy and I'm not worried about it. Of course keep monitoring him to be safe but it's probably nothing.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
diaboliqueturtle said:
I don't want to mislead you in case there really is something wrong, but... I gotta tell you, my red foot has been doing that too off and on since I've had her, which is 3 years. Usually it's around the change of seasons (I'm in Canada) and lasts for a few days then its back to her routine. Have you changed anything in his enclosure? Moved some plants around? I re-did Princesse's landscaping and for the past 3 days she's been sleeping in the open in her "forest". She does that every time I change something in there, she spends hours roaming and "trying out" new spots to bask and hang. She also got a clean bill of health from the vet 3 weeks ago so I know she's healthy and I'm not worried about it. Of course keep monitoring him to be safe but it's probably nothing.

I am beginning to think he is just being goofy because of the weather change. He seems healthy, and we were just at the vets two weeks ago with the beak trim. He ate like a pig two days ago, and now he doesn't seem hungry and he seems to just want to sleep. He is bright eyed when he is awake, he isn't breathing funny or whistling or blowing bubbles. Just seems sleepy. And now now hungry. Do Redfoots hibernate? Is he trying to do that? I will keep a close eye on him and if he is still acting goofy I may take him to the vet on Monday. Who knows I may be worrying myself for nothing!

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
They don't hibernate but I'm sure they feel the cooling off like we do. Heck, I'm bummed out that fall is here already ;-)
I'll even admit that I only took her to the vet after worrying myself silly reading all the posts on here... Hihi

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
diaboliqueturtle said:
They don't hibernate but I'm sure they feel the cooling off like we do. Heck, I'm bummed out that fall is here already ;-)
I'll even admit that I only took her to the vet after worrying myself silly reading all the posts on here... Hihi

Well I am a constant worrier! He was sleeping on his rock in his basking spot and I started talking to him and held some romaine in front of him and he ate it! He is now eating some more .... So at least he is eating ... I don't think he is sick ..I am hoping it is just the season change

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
diaboliqueturtle said:
*chuckling* Funny how comforting it is to see that, eh?! :-D

Yes! LAUGHING OUT LOUD FOR REAL!

He did eat last evening. Something he usually doesn't do, so I am wondering if he really does have himself confused and is sleeping during the day and up partying all night!

Maybe he is depressed he can't go outside anymore?

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, outside play time is over for us too :-(
2 days ago she slept in her hide, first time in a week, but last night she went back to the forest... I'm assuming she likes the new landscaping and feels safe there. There's also a 5 month old hatchling boxie in there and I noticed that she tends to sleep wherever the baby is burrowed. Like little shell buddies, too cute :)
How old is your Tyrone? Have you had him long?

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
diaboliqueturtle said:
Yeah, outside play time is over for us too :-(
2 days ago she slept in her hide, first time in a week, but last night she went back to the forest... I'm assuming she likes the new landscaping and feels safe there. There's also a 5 month old hatchling boxie in there and I noticed that she tends to sleep wherever the baby is burrowed. Like little shell buddies, too cute :)
How old is your Tyrone? Have you had him long?

We have had him for 18 months and the said he was 2-3 years old when we got him. I am thinking it maybe time to replace his UVB light is is 8 months old and I am going to go with MVB. We also just got him a bigger enclosure... A 6 foot long aquarium! So I am excited he will have more room to roam. I bought a 160 watt MVB got home only to discover the lamp says 150 max ... I guess I will need to take it back and get the 100 watt

Status
Not open for further replies.