HELP - I'm heartbroken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
Just curious, how big and enclosed is your yard?

Well, its been quite some time now. I think now we should pray that it is actually outside all along.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
fifthdawn said:
Just curious, how big and enclosed is your yard?

Well, its been quite some time now. I think now we should pray that it is actually outside all along.

I don't know the exact dimensions of the yard. Standard planned community yard. Block wall all the way around with one gate entrance. The underside of the gate has been stuffed with rocks to keep the cats and dogs from digging out. There is a chance that he is buried himself somewhere out there in the back. We do have a lot of vegetation (including some nice dandelion weeds). I go outside and look for him everyday. As it starts to warm up out here in AZ, I'm hoping he will be visible one of these days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There is no reason to give up hope.They can live for months without food, especially since its cooler outside of his environment. I've heard stories of them surviving over winter outside too. Unless someone removed him from your property, he'll turn up somewhere.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Id say look outside, get some gardening gloves, and dig him up with your hands!
I think now we know he is definitly outside!
I would spen a day digging up all the mud, looking for a dig hole etc!

You will find him, and he will still be alive as he has ate plants :) xx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've told this story before on the forum, but because there's a chance your tortoise might have ended up outside, I'll tell it again:

I received a phone call from a lady who was hired to clean up the yard of the house next door to her. The house had been vacant for 3 years. When she was chopping down the tall weeds in the back yard she found a soft ball-sized sulcata back there. He had been outside for three winters. The winter nights here in the Fresno area are usually right around 32 degrees every night. The days are usually in the 40's sometimes in the 50's. We figured the little guy had dug a burrow under the cement foundation of the house.

This little tortoise couldn't have been more than a couple years old when he was left out there. And he's about 90lbs today! There's hope for you.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
rwfoss said:
I don't know the exact dimensions of the yard. Standard planned community yard. Block wall all the way around with one gate entrance. The underside of the gate has been stuffed with rocks to keep the cats and dogs from digging out. There is a chance that he is buried himself somewhere out there in the back. We do have a lot of vegetation (including some nice dandelion weeds). I go outside and look for him everyday. As it starts to warm up out here in AZ, I'm hoping he will be visible one of these days.

What about looking at the plants around the yard when you go looking for him? I've noticed tortoises leave some pretty identifiable bite marks in their food... Maybe you can "track" him by seeing if any of your yard's dandelions, etc have been chewed on?

Good luck!!

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I keep checking back..still wishing you luck that the little guy finds his way home!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
emysemys said:
I've told this story before on the forum, but because there's a chance your tortoise might have ended up outside, I'll tell it again:

I received a phone call from a lady who was hired to clean up the yard of the house next door to her. The house had been vacant for 3 years. When she was chopping down the tall weeds in the back yard she found a soft ball-sized sulcata back there. He had been outside for three winters. The winter nights here in the Fresno area are usually right around 32 degrees every night. The days are usually in the 40's sometimes in the 50's. We figured the little guy had dug a burrow under the cement foundation of the house.

This little tortoise couldn't have been more than a couple years old when he was left out there. And he's about 90lbs today! There's hope for you.

Awww! Was this Dudley?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Stephanie Logan said:
Awww! Was this Dudley?

No. I adopted the baby out to someone I know and she named him Lucky. I see him occasionally and you'd never know he was a wild tortoise for three years.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
I had a bearded dragon live outside in seattle's fall weather for two weeks! Through two hail storms and lots of rain. She dug herself a little hide right next to the foundation of the house. She looked kinda wild after we found her but she was healthy as ever... I have faith you'll find him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:
Stephanie Logan said:
Awww! Was this Dudley?

No. I adopted the baby out to someone I know and she named him Lucky. I see him occasionally and you'd never know he was a wild tortoise for three years.

How was his level of pyramiding?

rwfoss

5 Year Member
franeich said:
Have you given up?

No, not at all. Sorry I haven't updated anything. The post about one of the dogs possibly carrying Gus outside is making a lot of sense to us. We have had rain, so some searching was haulted. We going into another big cleaning overdrive this weekend. Cleaning means searching. I plan on being in the backyard when I can this weekend, plus we have family coming Saturday, so we will be have an extra pair of eyes.

samstar

5 Year Member
rwfoss said:
franeich said:
Have you given up?

No, not at all. Sorry I haven't updated anything. The post about one of the dogs possibly carrying Gus outside is making a lot of sense to us. We have had rain, so some searching was haulted. We going into another big cleaning overdrive this weekend. Cleaning means searching. I plan on being in the backyard when I can this weekend, plus we have family coming Saturday, so we will be have an extra pair of eyes.

Dogs sometimes like to hide their price possesions so maybe he dug up and hid your tort? Just my guess..

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Well I thought of this today.... I see you have a new one in the house... He will show up some time.. and he will be just fine.. I still have faith..

rwfoss

5 Year Member
You know, we heard that someone in the neighborhood saw a tortoise in their front yard, but they didn't pick it up. My first reaction was...GUS! So we're waiting to get a return phone call so I can get the exact address and start looking. They said the tort was as big as their hand, so Carla doesn't think it's Gus. My thinking was...whose hand? I have big hands, and he was half my hand in size. He may have grown a little too.

So, I'm still hoping and praying and looking!!

snakegrl

5 Year Member
I had that happen once. I was letting mine walk around our living room went to answer the phone; 1 min. and "poof" gone. Found him 2 days later sleeping in my tennise shoe in my closet. They are very good at hiding. Lord help you find it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.