Heartbroken

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikaO

5 Year Member
Wow, that seems to make no sense at all that the police can do nothing about it! Seems more like they "choose" not to do anything about it. Here where I live, the parents are held responsible for the actions of their minor children, which is exactly how it should be! I am shocked that given the fact that at least one mother admitted to knowing about the incident, that the parents aren't given a hefty fine, or made to do community service. What a trajedy, in more ways than one! Look at how many people are affected and have to live with the lack of responsibility allowed! Shame on the California legal system and whats more, shame on the pathetic parents who have done a terrible injustice to their children, their community and their country!

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I can tell you, if they shoplifted the equal value from a store, they would file a report for sure and the parents would be held responsible as well. I really think the police are viewing it as unimportant, therefore no action is taken.
Shameful.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
cmosuna said:
Neal said:
What are the consequences of trespassing by a minor?

I can't understand why people have such disrespect for animals. The parents are apparently not concerned about what their children did, so I guess they have not respect for humans either. I'm disgusted by your experience, but it's probably one of those situations where you gotta move on.

First off I would like to thank everyone for their support and kind words, secondly it seems that Neal is probably right. No one cares but us Crazy people. Not Animal Control, not the police, not the kids, not their parents. Everyone I call or contact says sorry but nothing can be done, also found out the police never even took a report basically they were just humoring us. I am so disgusted, as good people we all believe that there are rules and when those rules are broken there are consequences and the honest truth is that most of the time there are not =/
You could report the parents to Department of Child Protective Services. Maybe that would wake these lousy parents up.

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
DixieParadise said:
Ok, call Internal Affairs tell them of your incident. Let them know that you were not treated fairly and they you intend to pursue this. Call the local newspaper, news station. Let the neighbors know what is going on in their neighborhood. I gurantee you, you will get some attention and more positive than you think negative.

You are probably not the only one that has had problems with this family. I cannot believe the attitude of your police to crime...and what they did was a crime! H3ll, where I live, if your <14 yr old kid isn't wearing a seatbelt, the parent gets ticketed....theft, the kid would be in juvie-hall regardless of age.

And what Lynn says, call family services..........make a racket!

ErikaO

5 Year Member
Having worked with children and teens for years, I can say that Child Protective Services will more than likely not help in this situation. Their whole purpose is to protect the children; unfortunately, that does not include protecting them from stupid parents. A neighborhood association that implements a good watch program and singles families like the ones whose children participated, would do more to help iliminate or at least minimize future issues. Because the law (although set up to help) is refusing to help, this has to be a "We the people" situation. Spread the news about these particularfamilies so that your community is at least aware of the possibility of unchallenged crime; and perhaps ostracizing these families might either drive them away or at least stop their nonsense.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
VERY good info EJ.

Chad, if the cops are saying that these kids are too young to be charged, then obviously the responsibility falls upon the parents. According to the definition provided by EJ, grand theft occurred and SOMEONE must be charged with that crime.

If you don't take action, these kids will do this again and worse... Theses kids and especially the parents of these kids MUST be made to realize there are consequences for these actions. Watch how quickly these parents start controlling their kids when fines and legal action are levied against them... If they get away Scott free, I worry about the future.

cmosuna

5 Year Member
Stanton, CA
Tom said:
VERY good info EJ.

Chad, if the cops are saying that these kids are too young to be charged, then obviously the responsibility falls upon the parents. According to the definition provided by EJ, grand theft occurred and SOMEONE must be charged with that crime.

If you don't take action, these kids will do this again and worse... Theses kids and especially the parents of these kids MUST be made to realize there are consequences for these actions. Watch how quickly these parents start controlling their kids when fines and legal action are levied against them... If they get away Scott free, I worry about the future.

It all sounds so great and full of justice, but it's not going to happen. We have spoken to multiple police, humane societies, etc the past couple of days and the sad sad truth there is nothing they will do. What we were told are laws that are in place protect children that young do not allow us to press charges on them on pretty much anything less than murder. I also discussed with them the mother admitting to throwing them in the trash and they also informed me there was still nothing that can or will do without having seen them in the act. Since all of the expensive torts were returned the monetary value of what is still outstanding is something in the range of $50. Which leaves the trespassing charge which we cannot hold the parents accountable for. They told me the best I could do is civaly sue them to get the menatary value back. Our Justice System is effed up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Chad, I'm sorry to say that I have shared that same observation on far far too many occasions...

I hope that somehow those rotten parents get what they deserve and that their unfortunate children somehow learn right from wrong on their own.

cmosuna

5 Year Member
Stanton, CA
Tom said:
Chad, I'm sorry to say that I have shared that same observation on far far too many occasions...

I hope that somehow those rotten parents get what they deserve and that their unfortunate children somehow learn right from wrong on their own.

Luckily we have no recovered all but one slider that was taken. I found two more today. One they dumped in my neighbors yard and another some of the kids found and just brought back to me. Hopefully now they understand and know that all eyes are on them.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You have been through hell and so have your torts. Let's hope the last one turns up. Fingers crossed and ((((hugs))))

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
EKLC said:
At the very least I hope the law comes down hard on them and that you get the sliders back.

I'd probably be in jail now if I were in your position.

Yes, I hope they are arrested and held responsible for the crime!

cljohnson

5 Year Member
WHY IS THERE NOT A LICENSE TO REPRODUCE.
I sometimes wonder why boys aren't sterilized at birth. Then when they turn 21 and can prove they are smarter than a bucket of hair and have some means to support a child they get their testicles back.
Sorry this Ps me off beyond belief.
I am appalled by the response of the police and especially the " parents ".
I am very sorry you had to go through this.
I wish you and your shelled children all the best.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I would put signs for trespassing and warning of an electrical fence on the property. Also put one of those fake survelliance cameras up with signs...They would be foolish to try this again. What does the law say about protecting your property? I am not an advocate of harming people, but just saying those kids are glad they didn't step in my backyard...

Glad to hear that most of your pets are home and safe. Fingers crossed for the RES to show up, soon.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
cljohnson said:
WHY IS THERE NOT A LICENSE TO REPRODUCE.
I sometimes wonder why boys aren't sterilized at birth. Then when they turn 21 and can prove they are smarter than a bucket of hair and have some means to support a child they get their testicles back.
Sorry this Ps me off beyond belief.
I am appalled by the response of the police and especially the " parents ".
I am very sorry you had to go through this.
I wish you and your shelled children all the best.
There is no going back from sterilization, and it usually takes two to tango.
A little harsh IMHO

cljohnson

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
There is no going back from sterilization, and it usually takes two to tango.
A little harsh IMHO

Maybe I was a bit over the top.
I was venting and only half serious.
The reason I said boys is unfortunately only irresponsible young women seem to get stuck raising unwanted kids.

ErikaO

5 Year Member
cljohnson said:
Maybe I was a bit over the top.
I was venting and only half serious.
The reason I said boys is unfortunately only irresponsible young women seem to get stuck raising unwanted kids.

Understandibly, you are frustrated with this very broad problem, and i'm sure your last posting was also a means of venting, because surely you know that all children are wanted. Truth of the matter is...we live in a great nation tht allows us many freedoms. Unfortunately, some people are too ignorant and cause all of us problems with those freedoms. Like the freedom to peacefully raise your choice of pets and freedome to own your own property. I realize that the children involved in this situation are a real thorn to people's sides, but behavior is behavior allowed. So the parents should be looked at. Again, regarding the parents...behavior is behavior allowed. The California authorities have allowed these ignorant parents to get away with this tragedy. This is why it is so important to vote your values! This problem will be everyone's eventually, if we all allow some crazy judge on the bench to decide to let children and their parents get away with everything.
Again, I certainly hope this horrible situation never happens again, but I fear it happens more often than we ever hear about.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I'm sorry to hear that nothing was done to the people that stole your tortoises but glad that you indeed get them back. :) I cant stand people that steal things and especially ones that steal live animals!!!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Sorry to hear this happend, but I am happy to see u got some back! Hope they all get back home soon! Best of luck to you!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.