HELP - I'm heartbroken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
sammi said:
Have you moved all the furniture around?

At least once. We're having to move the same stuff again in the continued search.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
This may seem extreme but pretend you're moving and slowly and carefully look through everything and put in a box and move it outside...including furniture. When the house is empty, search through every nook and cranny. If he doesn't show up by then, he's not in the house. :/ I had to do this to find a missing rat once. It wasn't good news when I found him but at least I got some closer. good luck i hope you find the poor little guy.

franeich

5 Year Member
That is a great idea. It might seem extreme but you will get it done and then you can stop the inside search if you dont find him.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
RascalDesertTort said:
This may seem extreme but pretend you're moving and slowly and carefully look through everything and put in a box and move it outside...including furniture. When the house is empty, search through every nook and cranny. If he doesn't show up by then, he's not in the house. :/ I had to do this to find a missing rat once. It wasn't good news when I found him but at least I got some closer. good luck i hope you find the poor little guy.

That is a good idea! We have done this on a smaller scale in the room he was housed in. Everything on the floor was picked up, looked through (if possible) and put into a box. Trash bag emptied, gone through, re-bagged, and put outside. Moved furniture, flipped furniture, searched furniture, etc.

My search method through the rest of the house is piece by piece. Start in one corner of the room and move along a wall. Everything removed from the floor and furniture moved, then put back. Move to the next wall and do the same, etc.

Sigh...

brianfurtado

5 Year Member
Maybe try getting someone completely new and unaware of the situation in there to look. A fresh set of eyes and persepctivr might help. If you hover over them and say things like "Nah I tried there" then that's good because that person is truly searching without the subconscious process of elimination and reasoning we tend to develop in these cases. This has worked for me where Ive asked someone else to help me and I want to tell them not to bother in certain areas or that I've already checked in others only to find out I was wrong. Anything at this point right?

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Although my happiness today could only be improved upon by Gus turning up, it is a happy day none-the-less. I went to a reputable reptile shop about an hour from home and brought in some of my tarantulas to trade. They had this sulcata that they think is about a year and a half. It has some pyramiding, but I'm hoping to curb that. Yes, I took her home this afternoon!! I just got done converting a bookcase into a home for her. (They think it is probably female.) We took her to the park by our house right after I got home, as some friends were having a picnic. She was a hit, and enjoyed a strawberry and piece of apple.

I would love thoughts on her pyramiding, as obviously I don't have experience with this. So here are some pictures. Let's hope this inspires Gus to come out of hiding and meet his sister!

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

brianfurtado

5 Year Member
I'm glad for you! She is super sweet. I'll level with you... I am NOT a religious person AT ALL. But the other day, I did say a little prayer to both St. Anthony and St. Jude (yup, grew up Catholic)... Godspeed Gus!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats on the new baby! I love pics of tortoises on grass and in the sun. Its just how things ought to be. Heartwarming. Thanks for making my rainy day better.

You know to keep the fruit down to a minimum, right? A little once in a while is not going to kill them, its just not so good as a regular part of their diet. Ten of us will probably jump you for that.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
brianfurtado said:
I'm glad for you! She is super sweet. I'll level with you... I am NOT a religious person AT ALL. But the other day, I did say a little prayer to both St. Anthony and St. Jude (yup, grew up Catholic)... Godspeed Gus!

Thanks, I appreciate that!

Roachman26 said:
Congrats on the new baby! I love pics of tortoises on grass and in the sun. Its just how things ought to be. Heartwarming. Thanks for making my rainy day better.

You know to keep the fruit down to a minimum, right? A little once in a while is not going to kill them, its just not so good as a regular part of their diet. Ten of us will probably jump you for that.

No problem - I can take the jumping! I do appreciate feedback, though. I do know it is a rare treat. With today being a special day for me, I wanted it to be special for her to. She only ate half of one strawberry and a few bites from the apple. Too busy meeting new people. (She is in her new home being left alone to adjust.)

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
She is so cute! Congradulations, now Gus will come home and you will have two! Let us know what you name her.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
TortieGal said:
She is so cute! Congradulations, now Gus will come home and you will have two! Let us know what you name her.

Sorry, it's Petunia!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Oh, I love Petunia! It's one of my favorite terms of endearment for children, "Let me help you with that, Petunia!" :D

Well, I hate to break it to you, but with those dark alluring eyes and the come-hither green lipstick, I should think Gus will be hurrying home to meet the new babe on the block, the cutie on the corner, the doll next door! ;)

Just my humble opinion, of course. Congratulations on your new addition! :D

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Congrats on the new sully

It has been three weeks and a day since Gus disappeared. Pretty soon you might just have to follow the smell. :(

There has to be something you missed----how can he be gone in an enclosed house this long? Its not like a rodent, or gecko that can climb walls and furniture---He's a ground dweller. :(

chadk

10 Year Member!
Cute new tort!

But you won't know the gender for quite a few years...

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Great Name! I love it. It looks like Gus may have made it outside.

franeich

5 Year Member
I bet one of the dogs carried gus outside. Gus is running around free and happy. You will find him in your yard when he is too big to miss.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Just one more thought on Gus. Did you check shoes??Boots, maybe someone mentioned it already I didn't read all 8 pages. I once had a hamster that lived in one of my riding boots for a month, could Gus have fallen in one?
Nice new tort though!!
Na

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Nay said:
Just one more thought on Gus. Did you check shoes??Boots, maybe someone mentioned it already I didn't read all 8 pages. I once had a hamster that lived in one of my riding boots for a month, could Gus have fallen in one?
Nice new tort though!!
Na

Yeah, all shoes are checked pretty regularly. No luck...yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.