Help! I'm a newbie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hay.gack

5 Year Member
Okay, my boyfriend just bought me my first turtle three days ago. The lady was explaining to me the diet and the food and how to give my turtle it. Ever since she gas gotten home she has not eaten, she hasn't drank any water- not even soaked. I haven't been home all the tkme to make sure she is eating or soaking but there is no food taken out of the bowl yet. What can I do? Is my turtle sick?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Hi. Welcome! Is it a turtle or a tortoise? There's a big difference: Turtles are aquatic, while tortoises are land dwelling animals. They have very different environmental and dietary requirements. Post pictures, if you can.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

hay.gack

5 Year Member
I'm sorry! It's tortoise! It's either russian or greek, but I can't remember which.

Attachments

• 1376580898513.jpg
    1376580898513.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 69

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a russian tortoise. Make him a habitat...something that he can call his own. Tortoises are territorial and they need to know that they are the king of their territory. The sooner you leave him in his territory, and stop allowing him free run of the house, the sooner he'll settle in and start eating.

One more thing I forgot to mention...he needs a light over his habitat. If a tortoise can't get his inner core temperature up to around 100F degrees, or at least over 80F degrees, he won't eat because he can't digest his food.

hay.gack

5 Year Member
See, I do have her in her habitat own habitat with the light and everything-this picture was just a better of the turtle itself. But thank you! I will definitely make sure the light can keel her warm enough to digest!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Try some dandelions. Then add grape leaves and mulberry tree leaves. And there are dozens of weeds that are good for them.

Some times it takes a few days for the tort to feel safe in their new enclosure. Many of the tort keepers use a dish pan with about an inch to 2 inches of luke warm water and place the tort in there for a 20 minute soak.

Good luck. Post some pictures.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
hay.gack said:
I'm sorry! It's tortoise! It's either russian or greek, but I can't remember which.

No need to apologise. You have a very cute Russian Tort. :)

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I would soak at least once a day for 30-45 minutes, and keep the water warm. Good luck!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.