New and Not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesusdancer9

5 Year Member
I am new at tortoise owning, I just got my first Russian Tortoise (female, estimated 7 months old) on Thursday 8/30 evening. It is now Saturday 9/1. She hasn't eaten or drank anything since I brought her home and all she is doing is burrowing in the corners of her enclosure (a 2ft by 3 1/2ft wooden box). They said that she would take time to adjust, but I am worried. Is her reaction normal?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
New and not eating, burrowing= normal :D

What type of uva/uvb light and what type of heating/basking source are you using? What type of substrate are you using? What type of food offerings are you give the tort?

jesusdancer9

5 Year Member
ascott said:

What type of uva/uvb light and what type of heating/basking source are you using? What type of substrate are you using? What type of food offerings are you give the tort?

She has a uvb/heat lamp 150 watts. I am using a dirt/fine mulch type subtrate, she seems to like that a lot. I first tried apples and zuchinie, but when she didn't eat that I gave her some spinich and a field mix. I am going to try kale next. She still hasn't eat (at least I don't think). It looked like she may have eaten, but it could have just look like that because the leaves started to shrink after a few hours. Is it normal for a tortoise not to eat in a new enviroment?

ascott said:

Scratch that, she is using a loose coconut fiber subtrate...I just looked at the label

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
It's normal for it to take a little time for your tortoise to adjust. As long as your four temperatures, (basking, warm side, cool side and nighttime), are correct, I wouldn't be worried at all at this point :)

jesusdancer9

5 Year Member
Laurie said:
It's normal for it to take a little time for your tortoise to adjust. As long as your four temperatures, (basking, warm side, cool side and nighttime), are correct, I wouldn't be worried at all at this point :)

Yeah they are pretty spot on :) I will try not to!

Status
Not open for further replies.