New Russian tortoise

Rundisneydork

image.jpg I just bought a Russian tortoise. I've had him for 3 days. He sleeps all day (hidden) and hasn't really eaten or drank anything. When I move him he just hides again (been under his water bowl all day he's still alive tho). Is this normal for one that's just brought home (I do plan on taking him to the vet just not sure of this behavior). The picture is his new home. Help! Please!

Last edited by a moderator:

tryme

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
Do you have a basking lamp as well as uvb? What are temps and humidity?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
It takes a while for tortoises to adjust to their new environment. They will come out and get comfortable and eat/drink in time.

I would suggest feeding Mazuri and some fresh greens instead of those pet store pellets you have in there, as well.

Rundisneydork

Thanks! That makes me feel better! I gave him spinach and romaine as well as the pellets just for variety.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Add more variety to the diet. Romaine is a bit like crack to them. Don't rely on it as a staple. Spinach too should be fed in moderation. As an intro to food other than pellets, it's a good start.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Mazuri is SOOO much better than those pellets, and my tortoise inhales it like crack. Sometimes she doesn't even chew them, she just swallows them whole because she's so excited. Really she loves it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your habitat is a little on the small side for a Russian tortoise. They need an awful lot of room to wander. Also, did the people you bought the tortoise from use those pellets? If not, he probably doesn't recognize it as food.

Soak him every day in warm water for a few days and when he gets used to you and his new home he should become more active.