Help identify! rotted skin around mouth?

LEO037

Please help identify what is the blackened skin around its mouth. Is it rotted skin? How to treat it?
Currently eating well 5 times a week, humidity 50-70, temperature 80-90, soak everyday.
Thanks

IMG_1766.JPG IMG_1767.JPG IMG_1772.JPG IMG_1773.JPG IMG_1775.JPG

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I very much doubt it's anything to worry about at all. Black mouth is almost always caused by diet - eating something that has stained it. Frequently the tort has been eating poop... It sounds disgusting, but some torts really have a taste for it.

LEO037

I very much doubt it's anything to worry about at all. Black mouth is almost always caused by diet - eating something that has stained it. Frequently the tort has been eating poop... It sounds disgusting, but some torts really have a taste for it.
That's also what I first thought. But the jaw is different from what my other tortoises look like. I will take more photos.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Before you take more pictures, gently brush the area with a wet toothbrush to clean it all off so we can see what you see.

LEO037

Before you take more pictures, gently brush the area with a wet toothbrush to clean it all off so we can see what you see.

Please see the new photos. So hard to take pictures for it...

Attachments

• DSC_0817.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0829.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0839.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0802.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0811.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 29

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When your pictures show up in your post as little thumbnails with writing on them, it means they are very, very large. It takes a long time for us to load them, and then they're way bigger than our screens. I've made the first picture smaller pixel-wise:

radiated.JPG

Your picture was 4,000x6,000 and I changed it to 1024x768. It then shows up as a picture thumbnail, and I click "full image."

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I still don't see anything wrong with that beak. My best advice is, if you're worried there really is something wrong, take the tortoise to a qualified vet so they can see it in real life.

On closer inspection, the dark part does look a bit more sunken than the lighter part. You may be onto something. But I just can't tell from a picture.

LEO037

I still don't see anything wrong with that beak. My best advice is, if you're worried there really is something wrong, take the tortoise to a qualified vet so they can see it in real life.

On closer inspection, the dark part does look a bit more sunken than the lighter part. You may be onto something. But I just can't tell from a picture.
Thanks, I will monitor the lower jaw for another few days, if it gets worse I will go to a vet.