Hello. I own a dinosaur!

Hey everyone who took the time to read this. I'm glad you're all here and spreading your knowledge and wisdom on these interesting and amazing animals. I've had Franklin for about a year now and I'm still learning how to care for him properly. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Little bit about my boy, Franklin...

• We live in Central Phoenix, Arizona
  • I rescued him from my neighbor's abandoned house. The renter killed himself and I found Franklin several months later after peeking over the block wall.
  • He's about 35 pounds and seemingly healthy.
  • I brought him to a vet about six months ago and got a clean bill of health.
  • Franklin built his own burrow after a few months of living in my backyard.
  • My yard has a fair amount of Bermuda and clover grass, which he eats on the regular.
  • I treat him once a day, usually with a stalk of rainbow chard or some Spring Mix that I won't eat anymore.
  • He's pretty active, but seems to be most active in the summertime, where he paces around the yard and plows through the bushes.
Thank you in advance for any helpful hints as to keeping this strapping young lad happy and healthy.

Jason

2015-03-25 17.43.17.jpg 2015-03-25 19.44.41.png 2015-01-15 16.47.18.jpg 2015-01-15 17.09.56.png 2015-02-10 10.04.22.jpg 2015-02-10 15.27.34.jpg 2015-02-10 15.28.39.jpg 2015-02-10 15.29.00.jpg 2015-02-10 15.29.19.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Great looking Sulcata. Good job saving him. Welcome to the forum the Sulcata experts are always happy to answer any questions you may have.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Nice. If you don't want him to have a burrow you can built him a heated night box.

Thanks for sharing pictures of him.

Do you have a small pond where he can soak himself?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jason, and welcome to the Forum!

What a lucky tortoise. You found him just in time! And your kitchen floor looks immaculate! I live alone and my kitchen floor looks like an army walks through it.

Franklin looks great.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
It looks like he and his parents are very happy they found each other. Once again it is hard to believe that my Turbo will be that big one day. Beautiful, and I also love the floors!!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Your dinosaur is very handsome and looks happy!
I daydream everyday I will find a tortoise!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have 14 dinosaurs . Three sulcatas, five red foots, two leopards, two red ear sliders, and two snappers!

Nice. If you don't want him to have a burrow you can built him a heated night box.

Thanks for sharing pictures of him.

Do you have a small pond where he can soak himself?

No, but my yard does get irrigation every two weeks when it gets warm/hot. I also hose him down every other day. He seems to enjoy that. I tried putting him into a kiddie pool once. He was none-too-pleased.

Hi Jason, and welcome to the Forum!

What a lucky tortoise. You found him just in time! And your kitchen floor looks immaculate! I live alone and my kitchen floor looks like an army walks through it.

Franklin looks great.

Thanks! The floor is fairly new. It's wood-look porcelain tile.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Sounds a bit familiar. Our neighbors just gave up their sulcata to us just recently. This forum will help you a ton! What ever you have questions about, just type it in the search box and read up. Some real helpful people will send you info from their experiences. You have reached the sulcata information jackpot here. You'll see.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jason welcome to the TFO from Phx. Also . Well some comment on the tort , some comment on your house , and thenMe I like the composter in the back yard :)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Thanks! Yeah, he was basically living by himself with no one caring for him for about 6 months. The renters who were living next door basically abandoned him.
So sad that people abandon their animals:( thankfully for you, the tortoise will thrive! You will find much info on the forum. There are plenty on the forum who have sulcatas and will help you out if needed :)