Hello From Texas, Please Help!

Camp Crush

Hello,
I live in Texas and I am thinking of getting a sulcata tortoise. But I am worried about not having the right space for an animal as large as the sulcata. The space in my backyard that I want to put him in is 52 by 15 feet. That comes out to 780 square feet. Is this an ok space for a sulcata or should I look at smaller species?
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1569.JPG
    IMG_1569.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Sounds good sized to me. Just remember, some of that room will have to be taken up by either a heated shed or a heated night box for those times the temps aren't hot enough.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome! Just so you know if you used fertilizer on your lawn he can't eat it . So that means you wait to get one for six months to a year ,or rip it all out and reseed . You'll have to build a heated house and a fenced in area to keep him out of your flower bed . He will eat it to the ground . He will also dig and walk the grass to dirt . I'd say go with a leapard tortoise . They are smaller and easier on the yard . Leopards are awesome tortoises. This is how big sulcatas get. So that space is a little on the small side for a 150 pound tortoise .

Attachments

• 1499732680812.jpg
    1499732680812.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I agree with everything Mike said.

What part of Texas are you in? Hot and dry, like El Paso, Lubbock or Amarillo, or hot and humid like Brownsville or Corpus Christi? If you are in the warm humid area, then a red foot, or group of red foots would suit that space very well.