Hello from Sacramento, CA!

kealoha

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA
Hi everyone! My name is Katie and I'm from the Sacramento, CA area. I have no tortoises as of yet, but do have eight children (ages 4 months, 1, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, and 18), two dogs, and two cats.

I am hoping to get a tortoise in the not too distant future.

At first I was all gung ho, "I want a Sulcata!" but, after I calmed down a bit, realized that between the climate here, the lack of ample yard space, and the dogs meant that it is not in the best interest of the Sulcata for it to live here, so now am doing my research as to what tortoise would be the best fit for my family, location, land availability, etc.

I'm looking forward to gaining knowledge and wisdom from those that know what they are talking about and hopefully finding the right tortoise for us!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

We have several members in your neck of the woods who keep sulcata, but then, yard space is quite an issue. If you don't have it, then you're wise to think of a different species.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Welcome!

I too live in the Sacramento area. Our climate here is quite good and allows for quite a few options in keeping tortoises. You are in the right place to see how to do that properly with the TortoiseForum!

Daphnevelma

10 Year Member!
Central California
Welcome Katie!

Whatever type of tort you decide on, you're in the right place for fantastic info and advice. I live in Central California with my Russians. They're happy and thriving. Keep us updated on what you decide.

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
Before deciding on what species would be best for you, I would take your outdoor climate into consideration: is it dry or humid? Does it get cold in winter months? If it gets too cold, would you be able to keep a tortoise inside for temporary measure?
Taking note of the surroundings of your yard space is really important when taking a larger breed of tortoise into consideration.
If you live in a desert/dry climate, my best suggestions would be sulcatas or leopards (though, leopards aren't a very large variety of tortoise, they can get up to 14-20")leopards need a large space to roam, and would need a 12'x24' a single leopard tortoise can have a 6'x2' enclosure at minimum, and you can increase the area by 3'x2' for each leopard you add into an enclosure. For smaller species of dry tortoise, I'd say Hermann's, Russians and Indian star tortoises are a great suggestion, they can do well in a 5'x2' enclosure, and the bigger the better.
If you live in a very humid environment, then a great forest variety of tortoises are red foots, cherry heads, elongateds, or black and brown mountain tortoises. All the sizes of those breeds Cary, but their size differences aren't too dramatic. They can all grow from 14"-20" at most. Forest tortoises are lots of fun, and can have nearly a 6'x3' for small species, or 10'x8' for larger species.
It's best to read up on your selected options of tortoises before making a full decision on which one to get (it's also best if you do research on what kind of enclosure they will need to thrive and not escape). A great place to learn about different varieties of tortoises is on reptile magazine, and if you're not much of a reader I'd reccomend the Kamp Kenan YouTube channel for loads of tortoise care videos.
Having a tortoise will be lots of fun, I wish you luck on your tortoise seeking journey! :^)

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Before deciding on what species would be best for you, I would take your outdoor climate into consideration: is it dry or humid? Does it get cold in winter months? If it gets too cold, would you be able to keep a tortoise inside for temporary measure?
Taking note of the surroundings of your yard space is really important when taking a larger breed of tortoise into consideration.
If you live in a desert/dry climate, my best suggestions would be sulcatas or leopards (though, leopards aren't a very large variety of tortoise, they can get up to 14-20")leopards need a large space to roam, and would need a 12'x24' a single leopard tortoise can have a 6'x2' enclosure at minimum, and you can increase the area by 3'x2' for each leopard you add into an enclosure. For smaller species of dry tortoise, I'd say Hermann's, Russians and Indian star tortoises are a great suggestion, they can do well in a 5'x2' enclosure, and the bigger the better.
If you live in a very humid environment, then a great forest variety of tortoises are red foots, cherry heads, elongateds, or black and brown mountain tortoises. All the sizes of those breeds Cary, but their size differences aren't too dramatic. They can all grow from 14"-20" at most. Forest tortoises are lots of fun, and can have nearly a 6'x3' for small species, or 10'x8' for larger species.
It's best to read up on your selected options of tortoises before making a full decision on which one to get (it's also best if you do research on what kind of enclosure they will need to thrive and not escape). A great place to learn about different varieties of tortoises is on reptile magazine, and if you're not much of a reader I'd reccomend the Kamp Kenan YouTube channel for loads of tortoise care videos.
Having a tortoise will be lots of fun, I wish you luck on your tortoise seeking journey! :^)
I know you stated those enclosure sizes were minimal, I'd recommend much larger areas. I believe Russians need alot of space for such a small tortoise. They'll live in a 5x2 enclosure, but I think it will be very stressful for them. Most adult Russians that you purchase or adopt are wild caught. I keep my Russians in large enclosure outside with plenty of decor and edible plants. (Think of a maze for the little guy). That way it can't see all sides of the enclosure. Of course everything I post is my opinion, and it's a way, not the way!

Tortise_mama

Sacramento, Ca
Hello! I am also new to this Forum! I will be adopting a 3.5 year old male Sulcata next week. I am also from the Sacramento area. Good luck with whatever you decide. There is a russian tortoise up for adoption in the Sac area on petfinder. That is where i am adopti g my Sulcata from. Good luck on your tortoise journey. We can. Ot wait for our new best friend to arrive next week!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, Katie.

Please do not forget to post pics