heating elements

sjf

I have been doing some research and it says that I should shut the lights off at night. So I would assume they need heat, do I get a small heat mat to use or how do I handle this?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok so if I have a good south window, do I still need a reptile light?
Yes, the needed UVB can not go thru glass and screen without being diminished greatly. A UVB bulb is needed. A Mercury vapor bulb gives heat, light and UVB for day time and a ceramic heat emitter is for heat only for day if needed and also for night.

sjf

Yes, the needed UVB can not go thru glass and screen without being diminished greatly. A UVB bulb is needed. A Mercury vapor bulb gives heat, light and UVB for day time and a ceramic heat emitter is for heat only for day if needed and also for night.
Ok thank you for your help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok so if I have a good south window, do I still need a reptile light?

What species and size tortoise are we talking about? Where are you?

What are the four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

If you are using a CHE to maintain ambient night temps, you should run it on a thermostat.

ethan508

Northern Utah
Also what is your house temperature like? If you keep it heated well and have a tortoise adapted to colder night temperatures then heating at night might not be needed. If it gets cold at night and you have a more tropical tortoise then heat is needed.

sjf

Also what is your house temperature like? If you keep it heated well and have a tortoise adapted to colder night temperatures then heating at night might not be needed. If it gets cold at night and you have a more tropical tortoise then heat is needed.[/QUOTI don't actually have one yet because don't feel like I know enough yet. But I want a Hermanns tortoise, I live in western iowa and our house is on the cold side. In the winter with the low temp around 62.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
62 at night is fine for a hermanni, as long as it can warm up properly in the day time.

sjf

62 at night is fine for a hermanni, as long as it can warm up properly in the day time.
So Tom, you are saying I only need a uvb uva light is that correct? So I could buy one of those that work as basking bulb and uva uvb all in one?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So Tom, you are saying I only need a uvb uva light is that correct? So I could buy one of those that work as basking bulb and uva uvb all in one?

I like to use a 65 watt regular incandescent flood bulb for basking. I raise or lower it to get the correct temperature under it. Then I run an HO type florescent tube for UV. Arcadia makes very good ones. They have to be mounted at the correct height for the type you get.

I typed this up for russians, but care is essentially the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/