Heat lamp temperature?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kj_benavidez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Leandro, California
Okay so I live in Hawaii but on the east side of the big island(hilo side, wet side), its not as hot and dry as the Kona side, I have a greek tortoise and im trying to figure out the perfect heat for my tortoise, my tortoises heat lamp gets to about 105 that ive seen so i raised it up and now in the basking spot its about 99. degrees. is that too hot for my little guy? i herd that their basking spot should be around 95 to 105. is that true? I dont want to bake the little guy, although i know alot of tortoises are from dry lands. I have a zoo med digital thermometer which tells me all the temperatures in his tortoise house, and last night i just ordered a humid hydrometer, so i am really taking this serious, I want my tort to be comfortable and happy. I guess im just nervous cause this is my first tortoise and ive done research for months and I finally have one and Im just trying to be a good "parent" :) so any advice and info would be very much appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Around 100 is fine for directly under the basking lamp. The rest of the enclosure should offer lower temps so he can choose how warm he wants to be.

kj_benavidez

5 Year Member
San Leandro, California
Tom said:
Around 100 is fine for directly under the basking lamp. The rest of the enclosure should offer lower temps so he can choose how warm he wants to be.

Okay thank you so much! around the rest of the enclosure is around 80 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.