Health questions about my Russian tortoise

emm

So I got Neville just over a week ago and he is settling in well, I am just a bit worried about the fact that he isn't very active! He is 9 weeks old and we live in the United Kingdom ☺️

He is in a tortoise table with coco coir substrate and some stones around his water and food tray as well. He is eating, sleeping and pooing as well, he's just not very active.
He seems to spend most of the day lying under his UV lamp, partially buried under the substrate not moving unless I physically move him myself.
Is this partly to do with settling in and because of the time of year? Or should I get him checked out by the vet?

I have attached a picture so that you can see what he looks like ☺️

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413198734.432772.jpg

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
Great looking Russian hatchling. It's very normal for a 9 week old to spend most of the time in the substrate. As long as it's eating, drinking and going to the bathroom, he will be fine. I would continue to soak him a few times a week and keep one side of its enclosure damp with high humidity. I heavily spray one side of their enclosure with warm water every evening.

emm

Oh excellent!
I'm glad he looks okay and this is what I have been doing as well, spraying every day to keep it damp!

Thank you ☺️

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
It is that time of year too for russians to slow down a bit too. But totally normal for babies to hide and sleep a lot.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
What are your 4 temps? Warm side, cool side, basking and night? You want to make sure he is able to warm up enough. It is recommended to put a rock in the basking area to make sure it gets hot enough. Babies hide and sleep a lot though so as long as those are ok, no worries.

emm

Cool side about 70 and it stays this temperature during the night as well.
Basking is about 95. ☺️

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Cool side about 70 and it stays this temperature during the night as well.
Basking is about 95. ☺️

What humidity are you running? I only ask because you say that the temps drop to 70 for the entire night?

emm

I've got a humidity meter on the way so I don't know exactly, I was advised to keep it at about 70 - is this too low? :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I've got a humidity meter on the way so I don't know exactly, I was advised to keep it at about 70 - is this too low? :(

Okay, so, in my opinion---for this species, if you are going to keep humidity that high and allow the temps to drop below 80---your tort is a ticking time bomb for respiratory issues.....now, there are some here that are going to go on some rant about my reply---but so be it....I just find it sad when there is preventative measures that can be done.....high humidity (some species of tortoise) with constant warmth = okay, high humidity with coolness = Respiratory Infection

Please understand, I do know that access to humidity is essential to tortoise/reptiles in general, however some do better with less while others do well with more---this is a species that will do better with less....you can provide a warm humid hide that is kept that way all of the time....or you can set up a warm humid area within the enclosure that is kept that way always....but access to a dry cooler area is just as essential....to maintain a healthy shell (not just the appearance of smooth, but to keep a healthy shell) the animal must be able to dry out some as well as juicy up....

So, that is my take---and I never lay claim to being full proof, nor 100% right, this would be a bit egotistical of me, or anyone...and not prove beneficial in every situation.....

This is a good link to gain some insight from...I do have to say, that because of my personal experience with sand as a substrate---I would not agree with the mention of using sand ---although, some folks do and rave about how awesome it is....

http://russiantortoise.net/index.htm

emm

Thank you :)

He does have a dry area which he enjoys, so I don't keep the whole area damp :)

I will make the temperature a bit higher for him and hopefully that will help prevent RI :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay, so, in my opinion---for this species, if you are going to keep humidity that high and allow the temps to drop below 80---your tort is a ticking time bomb for respiratory issues.....now, there are some here that are going to go on some rant about my reply---but so be it....

I'm not going to rant about it. I'm simply going to inform the readers that you have no russians, no russian experience, no experience keeping russians at 70% humidity with 70 degrees night temps, or any other temps, and your opinion is not based on any facts or experience whatsoever.

I, on the other hand, have kept many russians, both babies and adults at that temperature, and lower, with high humidity, and have never experienced any issues. No problems for the other half dozen keepers and breeders that I correspond with who actually house, keep and breed russian tortoises in those conditions either.

Emm, your conditions and temps sound good to me and your tortoises behavior seems normal, especially for this time of year.

Here is how I keep them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

emm

Thank you :)
I am finding all of this very useful and any help is greatfully appreciated :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It sounds like you've got everything almost perfect! :D
I really need to agree with the above, I would try and bump up the humidity just a bit, because he's still a little baby, and it will help him stay healthy, and the shell will grow right.
@ascott, I understand most of your point completely, my russian humidity hangs around 70-80%most of the time, but he's alomst an adult, not a baby. I think stable humidity for a baby is crucial in shell growth, and healthy tort, even if it's just while he's a little guy!
(Not claiming to be correct on this) but pretty much any tort could be a ticking time bomb for respritory issues if the humidity is keep around 90% ALL THE TIME, so 70% is actually very reasonable for a russian :)
(BTW, the link ascott has provided is really nice, so is Tom's caresheet)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I don't have a wealth of knowledge of young Russians, my Nank came to me as an adult, but from what I hear about hatchlings on the forum often that makes a lot of sense to me is: They're young, baby's sleep a lot, its true of babys, kittens, puppies etc. Yes hes not a baby baby but he's still young so this probably has some factor. I'd say as long as he eats and moves sometimes don't worry too much, and keep an eye on his eyes, you can tell if theyre puffy or swollen which does indicate problem, just so you know to rest your worries :)
He's quite a handsome little guy there! :<3::tort: