Worried about my tortoise's health!

AP21

Hi there, I am new to this forum so I hope I have done this right. My boyfriend and I have had our baby Hermann tortoise for about two years now. We had him from a baby and he was only a few months old when we got him. He came from a great exotic pet shop in the UK with an excellent reputation who care for their reptiles very well. He was great for the first year and a half, very active and eating loads and pooing regularly! However, he would go through phases of sleeping a lot and not eating, we put it down to seasonal depression which is supposedly common in his species. Plus he always got back to normal very quickly. However, for the past few months we have barely seen him. He burrows in his house and sleeps all day and never comes out. He will go several days without eating. Sometimes we have got so worried we have had to wake him up and direct him to his food. He is also not pooing/weeing or drinking very regularly. We keep his table at the temperature advised, with a cool area for sleeping and a basking area of 32-38 degrees celsius and make sure to turn the light on every day for the right amount of hours. We are both quite busy so other than that we always used to let him do his own thing and would occasionally play and bathe him. But now we don't because we don't want to forcibly wake him. We purchased a new light a month ago thinking this might make a different but it hasn't :( I'm starting to get really worried and will take him into the shop we purchased him to see what they think but I thought it would be worth trying here first.

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you dewormed your tortoise ? It sounds to me that he could be sick of worms.
Has he hibernated ?
When he is not drinking regulary you have to soak him against dehydration. That`s very important.
What did you feed ?
Have you an UVB light for your tort ?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Give us all the information you have about his diet, temperatures, UV light, humidity level, enclosure, substrate, etc. and has he been to a reptile vet? And how about some pictures?