Hatchling Flipping on Back

Kellymay528

My little hatchling keeps flipping on his back. It's happened about three times. Two of those times he was probably on his back for over an hour. What should I do?!?!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, a pic will help us to help you. Also, if you have sharp comers, you can put a board across them to help from him trying to climb the corners and make sure all hides have straight sides, not curved like a half log.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Make sure there is nothing to climb near your basking lights and dig your water dish in so it can not be climbed!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
+1 You'll have to remove or modify anything that he/she is climbing on and flipping over. Logs, large rounded rocks, high sided bowls, etc. I agree, with a photo many of us could identify right away what your issues might be. Make sure that there is NOT a heating lamp directly above the spot where he/she has been found upside down. The heat will kill your tortoise very quickly in that position.

yillt

Hi. My tortoise was constantly doing that. He couldn't get himself back up and I was at school for eight hours so I realised I had to do something. I started by making sure there was enough for him to do, eat, drink and play with. If he he's bored he will try and climb out.Make sure your tortoise can't see out if the sides of his cage and that irritates them. Also lower the water level because if he flips into there he may drown. They do grow out of it. My tortoise never flips. But sometimes he does try to climb out. He seems wiser of life now. ;). Good luck with your little Flipper.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I never had that problem. Of course, I've often seen my babys flip, but it always took them just a few seconds to get back back up on their own.
They have uneven topsoil with a lot of stones, tufts of grass and weeds in their enclosure.