Hatchback's face

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
Boltz.jpg

I have gotten so many of my questions answered here so I thought I would add my latest concern. Hatchback is about 3 1/2 months old. He is weaned off of the lettuce he was fed before coming to live with me and I feel very comfortable with the amount of food he is eating (heaping 4" terracotta saucer) each day, but now I find myself worrying about the light colored markings on his chin. Could he be scraping himself on something or is just his coloring? I am using the terracotta saucer in lieu of a piece of slate just because I had it on hand. Is that too rough? It has never been raw or sore looking. Is he looking okay? Am I correct in thinking that the bumpiness of his carapace is due to him being a hatchling and not pyramiding? Okay, that was more than one question, but they are never ending. Thanks for all of your help!
Tub.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The lumpy shell is pyramiding. Where did you get him and are you positive he is only three months old? I'm guessing older. However, if he is really three months, he needs a humidity of around 60%. This is the care sheet you should follow if he is really that young http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
As for the discoloration on his face, it could be the darker is from the substrate and the lighter is where the discoloration is being rubbed off. I wouldn't worry too much, just keep and eye on it.

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
Not what I wanted to hear on regards to the pyramiding. I have had him about 6 weeks and was told he was 2 months old. I know he wasn't started correctly, but I was hoping that now that his enclosure is kept at 70% that he would grow smooth. I also soak him daily for 30 minutes. Sometimes twice a day as he seems to enjoy it. Below is a photo of him 6 weeks ago. The lady I bought him from had him a small pan that looked similar to a cat's litter box. He had timothy hay for a substrate. She fed him leaf lettuce. No lights other than the sunlight through the window. Knowing all that I bought him anyway thinking I would at least "save" him. Not the best of breeder's so I would imagine that his age could be wrong as well. Is it possible to age him by this face shot? It is the only one I took when I first got him. You mentioned that you would have guessed him to be older? How much older would you guess?

1st.jpg