Pesticides

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
I have been letting my little Hatchback get outside time, but have been doing so while he is in a plastic tub. I have a mix of soil and coconut coir as a substrate, with a hide and basking rock. I am looking forward to the time he can be in his outdoor enclosure, but I used a pesticide about four months ago. I am in southern AZ with very high temps during the day. The yard has been watered daily and just last week in was under water for a whole day. How long until it is safe for Hatchback? I just want to add that I used it prior to owning Hatchback and will NEVER be used again. I am looking to plant weeds now, not kill them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's really hard to say without having it tested, if that's even possible. Does the stuff you used say anything about how long it last? I would think with all the watering and the flooding it would be safe, but don't really know. Most likely if you waited two more months it would be fine. I would go with six months unless the stuff you used says it's gone in less time then that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Did you use a pesticide for bugs or an herbicide for weeds? Look at the label and see what the residual length of time is.

There is no way for us to know how much residual poison is, or isn't, still in your environment.

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. It was a herbicide. I will look it up and see if it has any info. For now he will stay in the 50 gal tote. Thanks again.