Herb Garden Mix and Wildflower Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Just looking to expand my seed mixes and was wondering how some of the common seed mixes rank on the safe lists.

I have bought seed mixes for my Greeks online but the shipping is astronomical and I feel that we should be able to get say a 10 pound or 25 pound bag for a lot less than the sites sell them for.

My super table is completed and the seeds are taking off. They are able to germinate as fast as they are eaten. Four 17 inch round flats total.

I bought a pound of Dichondra at the nursery rather than paying $22 per flat.

Since this is an indoor plant project what about using Herb mixes or wild flower mixes? Its not like the plants will reach maturity.

What are my seed mix choices?

Thanks in advance.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
webskipper said:
Just looking to expand my seed mixes and was wondering how some of the common seed mixes rank on the safe lists.

I have bought seed mixes for my Greeks online but the shipping is astronomical and I feel that we should be able to get say a 10 pound or 25 pound bag for a lot less than the sites sell them for.

My super table is completed and the seeds are taking off. They are able to germinate as fast as they are eaten. Four 17 inch round flats total.

I bought a pound of Dichondra at the nursery rather than paying $22 per flat.

Since this is an indoor plant project what about using Herb mixes or wild flower mixes? Its not like the plants will reach maturity.

What are my seed mix choices?

Thanks in advance.

Some herbs will be rejected, due to their strong taste...otoh, the wild flower mix idea is good...maybe some company can make you up a
"custom" mix w/ only tort-tasty ones...

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Has anyone been able to find a site or 2 that we can order packets of the different seeds our Tortoises like? Even pounds will do.

Paying $14 per 1/4 is pricey plus a ridiculous $8 for First Class mail is robbery.

I have Greeks so Broad leaf plants are what I'm lokking for.

I use the Thread Food for Desert Dwelling Types of Torts as my general menu.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
webskipper said:
Has anyone been able to find a site or 2 that we can order packets of the different seeds our Tortoises like? Even pounds will do.

Paying $14 per 1/4 is pricey plus a ridiculous $8 for First Class mail is robbery.

I have Greeks so Broad leaf plants are what I'm lokking for.

I use the Thread Food for Desert Dwelling Types of Torts as my general menu.

The feedstore where I buy goat and hen chows ordered me some weed mixes...I just took them a list of what I wanted and they had it mixed up into a 25# bag.

See if any of your local feed or gardening shops can do the same for you.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
That's a good idea. I mean they do usually sell the seeds by the pound and get them in bags anyway.

Will do.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Shelled Warriors are in the UK.

I'm going with Terry's idea or just get them myself from different small nurseries.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I checked locally and they all sent me online, searching again.

I did find NativeSeeds.org all locally grown from herbs to crops, teas and baking stuff. :)

What can we use from this catalog for Greeks?

Desert Native Seeds Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.