Grooves in shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laijla

5 Year Member
Hi all! I've not posted in a LONG time but have a question.
First, I'll start with some back ground info: I have a young redfoot (that I believe is likely going to be female) that just turned 4 years old this summer. I got 'Jet' at about 6 months & shortly after my daughter's dog got hold of him/her and chewed on the shell :( two scutes never separated (site of puncture wound) and seem to be stuck together while all others grew out normally. There is a little indentation at puncture site but otherwise its shell looks normal. The shell has a nice domed shape with no apparent pyramiding. At this age I'm assuming the critical stages of pyramiding would have occurred and would show up by now. Jet stays indoors during winter & in an outdoor enclosure usually late April/early May until about October.
My question is about slight grooves/ridges in the shell (circling the scutes) Is this a sort of shell deformity possibly due to lack of adequate humidity at times or diet? Is it still a form of mild pyramiding that started but stopped? Its not the obvious humps of pyramiding but the shell is not super smooth like the (undoubtedly wild caught) red foots I had as a kid back in the 60's and 70's. Would these grooves smooth out with age? Or is it a common side effects for a lot of babies raised in a less than perfect environment? Any feedback is appreciated!

Laijla

5 Year Member
cdmay said:
Hard to say without some photos. Can you post some?

I'll try to get some decent,recent pictures this weekend... will try to post pics soon! thanks!

redsn8k

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Marcos, Ca
I am a new yellow foot owner and our little guy/girl has the same shell growth.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376238917.888272.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376238935.204691.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376238951.603776.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
redsn8k said:
I am a new yellow foot owner and our little guy/girl has the same shell growth.

Gosh how unusual! I can't answer why this happens but will give you a bump so a expert forum member can advise you :)

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Beautifully colored tort, even with the raised ridges.
I hope you get some answers.

Ann from CT

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
This seems to happen more in true forest tortoises. I have no idea why.

Status
Not open for further replies.