Deep shell grooves? Help!

ShreddersMom

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Maryland
So Shredder is doing amazingly well! He eats like a champ unlike before, loves his lamps (finally) and is overall pretty personable. He's come leaps and bounds from the tortoise we brought home.

Today while we had him out, I noticed deep grooves or lines in his shell. Any ideas?

Just trying to figure out if I should be concerned. He is otherwise doing sooooooooooo well!

Attachments

• Shredder Shell 1.jpg
    Shredder Shell 1.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Shredder Shell 2.jpg
    Shredder Shell 2.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Shredder Shell 3.jpg
    Shredder Shell 3.jpg
    756.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Shredder Shell 4.jpg
    Shredder Shell 4.jpg
    733.5 KB · Views: 87

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks dry and pyramiding. Pics are a little close to see an overall. What's the humidity?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Your pictures look blurry to me. Just guessing as to what is going on, Some times right before a big growth spurt, the old scutes separate just a bit for the new big growth ring to come up and fill that gap. Don't know if that makes sense to you. But keep him hydrated and mist his shell multiple times a day and it will grow in nice and fat.

Nibs

I have had a similar problem with mine and understood that it was a mix of two things- lack of humidity as I had been keeping them incorrectly in a dry environment before I joined this forum, and the fact that they are growing rapidly on an improved diet now. I'll be interested to learn the forum's thoughts on this and any additional steps needed to resolve the issue.