Grocery store bargains

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
I got some heads of lettuce in the plastic container that have the roots still attached for freshness cause they were a dollar. Any who I wasn't thinking if it was a type my yellowfoot (or Russian) can have to me it looks like ice berg lettuce. Does anyone know for sure and has anyone tried to re plant it to see if it would grow again?

Thanks for the help guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 25

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I use butter lettuce occasionally.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I picked up two trays of living lettuce reduced to 35p (46 US cents) each from my supermarket this morning. A bargain not to be overlooked!

I'd be fine with the lettuce you found.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Everything in moderation. I use butter lettuce if it's on sale.

Rue

Canada
I'd be fine with the butter lettuce too. It's my favourite. I might be stingy letting Goose have any! ;)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't know how nutritious it is, I always was told that and read that lettuce can be fed but it's not to be fed too often or exclusively as it is not very nutritious. But it's a "leafy green"! Darker than iceberg lettuce, anyway so I guess it's much better. It looks good.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don't know how nutritious it is, I always was told that and read that lettuce can be fed but it's not to be fed too often or exclusively as it is not very nutritious. But it's a "leafy green"! Darker than iceberg lettuce, anyway so I guess it's much better. It looks good.
It does no harm as a supplement. It lacks fiber so any tort fed to much of it will do very runny poops.

Feed some to the tort and eat the rest yourself if you have a small tort (I can always rustle up a salad here :D ) For those with bigger torts, it'll probably get eaten in one go and then move on to grazing the clover (well, that's what Joe dies anyway)