Got some grass and bamboo to survive in my Russian's indoor enclosure

CharlesDarwin2.0

I'm using Lucky Bamboo off of amazon and some thick grass I found in my yard. Just thought I'd share! I'm working on removing the hay and eventually building an outdoor enclosure for the dude.

Substrate is primarily Eco Earth, pretty good for growing these plants!

Attachments

• 20160420_234636.jpg
    20160420_234636.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 44
  • 20160420_235154.jpg
    20160420_235154.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 43

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I'm using Lucky Bamboo off of amazon and some thick grass I found in my yard. Just thought I'd share! I'm working on removing the hay and eventually building an outdoor enclosure for the dude.

Substrate is primarily Eco Earth, pretty good for growing these plants!

Is that the bamboo that you find in the good luck/prosperity decorative plants? If so I would confirm the genre/type by name, some of them are poisonous....

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Lucky Bamboo is not actually a bamboo (members of the grass family) which are generally safe - Lucky Bamboo is actually a Dracaena - a non-edible, moderately toxic member of the Asparagaceae family. Common names are annoying, but you should remove it from the enclosure. It is generally thought to be toxic to tortoises (as it is for other common pets too).

The tortoise table is a good place to check before adding new plants if you are unsure: http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp?catID=354

CharlesDarwin2.0

Damn. Thank you all for the update! I immediately took out the bamboo and replaced it with more grass and a little bit of wild garlic :)

He took a nibble at one bamboo leaf but didn't eat it: smart kid.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A friend gave us some Lucky Bamboo back when we bought the house we are in now. About 12 years ago.
After a year or so, I planted it outside. I liked the thought of bamboo nearby, and wanted to grow it around my fish ponds.
However, now it's a very large bush with branches unable to support themselves, flopping all over the place. No longer bamboo looking at all. Lucky, Lucky me.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
A friend gave us some Lucky Bamboo back when we bought the house we are in now. About 12 years ago.
After a year or so, I planted it outside. I liked the thought of bamboo nearby, and wanted to grow it around my fish ponds.
However, now it's a very large bush with branches unable to support themselves, flopping all over the place. No longer bamboo looking at all. Lucky, Lucky me.
That what you have is the 'notso' veriety :p