Good hatching year!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
My little crew has had a good hatching year so far! 1 month old to 3 days here. 3 different clutches. All of them are CB2, second generation captive.
IMG_20230809_135645_115.jpg
We left on a road trip for 17 days, and 2 more eggs hatched during that time. I had placed 3 more eggs in a separate bin on moist paper towels because I knew they would hatch while we were gone. Unfortunately, I think that may have killed them. Our pet sitter checked the incubator every 2 days, and noticed mold growing on the paper towels and eggs. I cleaned off the mold, but we are at day 82 now. RT eggs really want to be in bone dry incubation medium with moist air. I feel sad that moving them likely killed the eggs (had veins and then a moving black shadow previously).

In other fun news, I noticed a slight indentation in the soil in the adult female habitat, with a thumb sized hole. I carefully dug it up and found an empty egg shell inside. Or maybe 2, hard to tell. So SOMEWHERE in there, a tiny hatchling is stomping around. I hope I find it. I know I miss nests occasionally...

I'm raising these babies until Spring, and keeping two of them. I will have some available though, once they reach 100g.