Golden Greek Tortoise questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tejai7

5 Year Member
Hello, my name is Tasha :) and I live in Central Texas. We are going to be getting 2 golden greek tortoises. We are trying to get everything we need to set up their terrarium, so that it is ready when they get here in a few months. I was wondering if 2 golden greek tortoises of the same sex be in the same terrarium?[/size][/font]

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! How big are they going to be when you get them and how big is the enclosure? If you are going to have two, then yes two of the same sex is best with normally two females being the best. However, generally one alone is the best (and then I would go with a male) if you want more then one then a trio (one male, two females) is best if you have enough room.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tasha, and welcome to the Forum!!

If the two tortoises you're getting are adult tortoises, I would suggest you re-think the aquarium idea. Two adult tortoises cannot live in an aquarium...well, maybe a 100 gallon would be big enough, but in my opinion, adult tortoises do best in a large outdoor habitat. When you can't have them outside due to the weather, then you must give them a big enough indoor habitat for them to roam around and not get in each other's way.

tejai7

5 Year Member
They are going to be 1.5", when I get them. So I have a indoor 40 gallon terrarium and was thinking of just getting 2 males. Do you think the size of the terrarium is good for 2 small tortoises? Thanks for the replies, everything helps me make great decisions. These are going to be first tortoises ever and I just want to make sure I provide them a great home.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Welcome! Personally I would not go with the aquarium, because to me it isn't worth the expense. They aren't cheap and you will have to get something bigger before long. They make huge totes that would work just as well and are cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.