Found my tortoise yesterday missing both eyes. I'm so upset. She is not moving and I'm assuming dead.

dogiluvme

Location (City and/or State)
Long Beach, CA
I found my baby missing both eyes yesterday. She is not moving and I'm assuming dead. Her limbs are all there, but eyes gone. I've been trying to research why this happens, but I am not able to find anything on the topic. Any ideas? I feel horribly sad. I had her over 30 years. I'm not sure if she was sick or if she was stressed by a critter. Thank you for any input.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I found my baby missing both eyes yesterday. She is not moving and I'm assuming dead. Her limbs are all there, but eyes gone. I've been trying to research why this happens, but I am not able to find anything on the topic. Any ideas? I feel horribly sad. I had her over 30 years. I'm not sure if she was sick or if she was stressed by a critter. Thank you for any input.
So sorry to hear this - birds may be the culprits, but maybe she had died before they got to her, otherwise wouldn't she have retracted her head if attacked?
When was the last time you saw her?

dogiluvme

Long Beach, CA
So sorry to hear this - birds may be the culprits, but maybe she had died before they got to her, otherwise wouldn't she have retracted her head if attacked?
When was the last time you saw her?
I had seen her the night prior, but she appeared to be basking and fine. The next day is when I saw her eyes missing. I am distraught because I wasn't 100% she was dead, but she did smell a little. She did not move at all. I then put her on ice so I can bury her. I just feel awful not knowing the cause. I pray she didn't suffer. I do have possums and other critters that come through yard so I hope she wasn't stressed in her enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When a tortoise is dead for a while the eyes sink in, making it look like they're gone.

I'm so sorry you lost your baby. Please go to our species specific page and read the care sheet for her species to try to figure out what went wrong.

dogiluvme

Long Beach, CA
When a tortoise is dead for a while the eyes sink in, making it look like they're gone.

I'm so sorry you lost your baby. Please go to our species specific page and read the care sheet for her species to try to figure out what went wrong.
Thank you. I didn’t know this about eyes sinking in after death. I pray this is case and not her suffering long.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I am so sorry for your loss. If there where no open wounds, then what @Yvonne G suggested is the situation.
What kind of tort was she?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size and species? Was it housed outside full time?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Hum, too many questions to ask . . how something like this could happen...