HI! and HELP!! I'm a new Tortoise mommy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Satellite Beach, Fl
I'm Vanessa and ive recently aquired two Sulcata Tortoises. The first one, Franklin (right), wandered into my garage! My sister thought he was a lawn ornament... until he moved! I've been investigating on local lost and found pages with no luck. We happened to find the neighbor that we thought he belonged to. So... reluctlantly, i went to ask her if she was missing a tortoise. Yes she was missing one and she had a second one that she offered to me if i wanted. OF COURSE! So today i brought home Tara(left) from the next street over... in the trunk of my car (no worries.... it took about 30 seconds).
Question 1: they seem to be heavily Pyramided, can that be fixed or what? (i like the way it looks... they look like little dinosaurs) Ive studied online at a few different sites, they all say its diet/humidity. I live in central florida about 1/2 of a mile from the beach, so the humidity isnt a problem. I'm really wondering if its irreversable damage or if it will go away.
Question 2: they are very light but have dark eyes. Are these two considered "Ivory" Franklin is darker because he like to dig in the dirt!
HaHa... I uploaded a picture of Franklin's namesake accidentally
I will take any advise you guys can give me!!
I am totally committed to my Two Little Backyard Dinosaurs

Attachments

• franklinandtara.jpg
    franklinandtara.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 60
  • franklin.jpg
    franklin.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 36

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hi Vanessa! Welcome to TFO!

They are pyramided from what I can see (Better photos would help). Pyramiding is not 'reversible' but it can be smoothed out somewhat overtime. Do some research on TFO and you'll find great information on diet and enclosure info that will get your sulcatas where they need to be. From the pictures they look somewhat ivory or blonde. As I said, posting better pictures would help a lot more.

What type of enclosure will you be placing them in? They are outside getting sun right?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome to the forum
a picture would help with question 2
in regards to pyramiding it can smooth out over time with proper diet ad husbandry.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello Vanessa welcome to the forum I to would like to see some better pic's of them:)

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
FernandoM said:
Hi Vanessa! Welcome to TFO!

They are pyramided from what I can see (Better photos would help). Pyramiding is not 'reversible' but it can be smoothed out somewhat overtime. Do some research on TFO and you'll find great information on diet and enclosure info that will get your sulcatas where they need to be. From the pictures they look somewhat ivory or blonde. As I said, posting better pictures would help a lot more.

What type of enclosure will you be placing them in? They are outside getting sun right?

Ok, i just updated the pics... and Gave you guys "Franklin Mott" from "True Blood" I'm a Huge Fan of that character... Hence naming my new Sulcata Franklin.

Right now they are outdoors, in a bit of a "ramshackel" enclosure that i built with Corrigated Hurricains Shutters... i can post a pic of that too. I used a Pet Crate as a shelter... I took it apart and put both halves on the ground so Franklin could sneak in and hide from the rain and such.

I simply ADORE these little guys! I have a Seed mix on order from CarolinaPetSupply. also, since Fl is so rainy and humid the ground stays moist... would it be wist to line the Pen with Rocks (below the soil) for better drainage? i have a plan to enclose 8'-10' across my back yard i guess about 40' long... should be enough room to roam for a few years. i would let them roam free in the yarn but i dont want they to fall in the pool and drown. We were swimming the other day and franklin, super curious came and said Hi... watched us for a few minutes then went to explore some more. they are both about 9'' long (head to tail) so theyre too big to be picked up by any Osprey or hawks. and our dogs are super curious about them too! 3 small breed dogs... so im not worried about them hurting the tortoises

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
lucky you!! they are special.. the biggest area you can provide for them the better. and you will need much more room as they grow. pools are deadly, so they will need to be kept away from there. Dog of any size can use a tort as a chew toy, so use some caution there too. They need a good diet, and calcuim. Go get a cuttle bone from the pet store and see if they want to eat it. the one on the rt looks kinda flat. that could be MBD. No fruit, grazing, hay if they will eat it, and spring mix salad. just a thought.. if they are both males.. they may start fighting someday and will need to be kept seperate.. just fyi. :)

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Wow, if your torts look like picture number two, I think you're in for some trouble. ;)

So, you found a tort, tried to return the tort, and she gave you another one?! Wow, weird. And lucky for you. :D

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Can we get some pictures of their plastrons (underside (specifically their anal scutes(tail area))) :)

Also you want to measure their shell only in a strait line. You can do this while your taking photos of the bottom side.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Vanessa:

Welcome to the forum!!

Your new tortoises are pyramided because the previous owner didn't keep them correctly. They didn't get any real sunshine to help the calcium to work, and they were raised too dry.

Now that they're outside and getting a better diet, you should start to see some improvement in the new growth, but the existing bumps won't go away.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
FernandoM said:
Can we get some pictures of their plastrons (underside (specifically their anal scutes(tail area))) :)

Also you want to measure their shell only in a strait line. You can do this while your taking photos of the bottom side.

okeedokee!
the first 4 pics are Franklin
the second 4 are of Tara
pic 9 is their temporary enclosure the back walls are about 10' long
pic 10 is the enclosure from the far side
pic 11 is the back yard, the concrete wall is about 7'high and each section is around 9' long(ish) their new enclosure will be along that wall about 10-11' out from the wall once i get all my supplies!

FranklinAndTara said:
FernandoM said:

okeedokee!
the first 4 pics are Franklin
the second 4 are of Tara
pic 9 is their temporary enclosure the back walls are about 10' long
pic 10 is the enclosure from the far side
pic 11 is the back yard, the concrete wall is about 7'high and each section is around 9' long(ish) their new enclosure will be along that wall about 10-11' out from the wall once i get all my supplies!

oh and pic 12 is of the pups, well... the old dogs i call puppies! Chandler Bing, blonde, shih tzu 7yrs. Oprah Ling, black, peke-poo, 5years. and Luis "Weesie" Chi-Poo, Red/Faun, 9yrs.

Attachments

• franklinscutes.jpg
    franklinscutes.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 24
  • franklinside.jpg
    franklinside.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 28
  • franklinmeasure.jpg
    franklinmeasure.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 23
  • franklinplastron.jpg
    franklinplastron.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 16
  • tarascutes.jpg
    tarascutes.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 17
  • taraside.jpg
    taraside.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 20
  • taraplastron.jpg
    taraplastron.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 14
  • enclosure.jpg
    enclosure.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 21
  • enclosure2.jpg
    enclosure2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 11
  • backyard.jpg
    backyard.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 13
  • pups.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 4

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Poor little torts we treated very bad by there previous owner. A lot of sunshine a better diet and some calcium will do them both very good..

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Welcome to the forum. You will lots of answers to your questions here. Good Luck and lucky you for not just getting 1, but getting 2 new family members. I am sure they will be much happier in your care.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
October said:
Wow, if your torts look like picture number two, I think you're in for some trouble. ;)

So, you found a tort, tried to return the tort, and she gave you another one?! Wow, weird. And lucky for you. :D

i KNOW! Crazy, right?

thanks guys! for the welcome and the info! I've never owned tortoises before... ive had a few water turtles in the past (cooter and Map turtles....eascapees from their pens when it rained too much) I will definately keep you guys updated on how my little guys are doing. i didnt know that there was such a big following for tortoises!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Franklin looks small for his shell for some reason. Almost like he has a growth stunt at one point. The enclosure doesn't seem that small for their size for the time being. Keep up with the good diet and sunshine.

Make sure you give them warm soaks 2-3 times a week.

Keep a water bowl or something (flushed to the ground) so they have access to drink.

Also re: their sex, it LOOKS like it can be male and female but I can't really tell too much. Someone might have a better opinion.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
FernandoM said:
Franklin looks small for his shell for some reason. Almost like he has a growth stunt at one point. The enclosure doesn't seem that small for their size for the time being. Keep up with the good diet and sunshine.

Make sure you give them warm soaks 2-3 times a week.

Keep a water bowl or something (flushed to the ground) so they have access to drink.

Also re: their sex, it LOOKS like it can be male and female but I can't really tell too much. Someone might have a better opinion.

thanks for the info! i really appreciate all the help from everyone!! :)

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
Tara and Franklin took their first soak today! Tara just laid there.... im claiming she enjoyed it!! (lol well she may have hated it but my denial is just fine) Franklin just kept on moving trying to climb out of the tub.

Attachments

• soak2.jpg
    soak2.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 11
  • soak1.jpg
    soak1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.