My talia the tortoise is not well

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
If it has not had uvb then this needs to be looked at you can get a small tube that can be attached with 2 x bulb clips to 1 long side of the enclosure and plugged in with a timer. Please buy a cuttlefish similar to what a parrot has and leave in the enclosure and add a dusting of calcium to fresh leaves 2 or 3 times a week this will boost calcium required for strong claw, beak and shell. I will photo what I have.

Thanks for bearing with us as I know lots to consider and correct but worth the investment if time. They are lovely pets but need good set up to thrive.

You only need 1 but you can match up to buy ...

Attachments

• DSC_1586.JPG
    DSC_1586.JPG
    967.9 KB · Views: 2

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
If there is a warmer day suggest you get it out for a short monitored walk, stretch legs and this will help eyes as natural light. Over time you can make a secure outside enclosure for our sunny days but they must have shade water and food and in at night. The tort you have is AKA escape artist so ensure it is secure or watched.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
i dont think so there is only one light fitting the one thats shown in the pic
Okay, perhaps it was the mirror or something on your photo, which confused me.

If Talia doesn't have an access to natural sunlight, we need an artificial source of ultraviolet (UVB) for her wellbeing. This can be totally redundant if tortoise lives outside during warm months and goes into "hibernation" during winter or just gets 1-2 hours of sun in a week.
Otherwise, she needs something like this: https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-desert-12#prot5-kit-12-24w (it should be mounted approximately 18 inches over substrate and put on timer for 4 hours a day to mimic sunlight UV peaks, lifespan for this lamp can be up to 4 years, replacement lamps are cheaper than full fixture + lamp kits).

Barryshaw6

Hemel Hempstead
If there is a warmer day suggest you get it out for a short monitored walk, stretch legs and this will help eyes as natural light. Over time you can make a secure outside enclosure for our sunny days but they must have shade water and food and in at night. The tort you have is AKA escape artist so ensure it is secure or watched.
I GOT HER SOME CALICIUM POWDER AND CUTTLFISH I HOPE THESE THINGS WILL HELP ALSO FEEDING HER SOME WATERCRESS SHE DOES SEEM BETTER ITS JUST HER EYES THAT WORRY ME WILL SHE END UP BLIND?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I GOT HER SOME CALICIUM POWDER AND CUTTLFISH I HOPE THESE THINGS WILL HELP ALSO FEEDING HER SOME WATERCRESS SHE DOES SEEM BETTER ITS JUST HER EYES THAT WORRY ME WILL SHE END UP BLIND?

Eyes should get back to norm in a few days, I guess.
There were three possible reasons for puffy eyes:
1. Bad lightning (most likely)
2. Lack of vitamin A because of low appetite
3. Reaction on wood shavings substrate.
You have timely addressed all three and I think, she will be fine.

Barryshaw6

Hemel Hempstead
I REALY HOPE SO WITH ALL THE EXPERT ADVISE I HAVE RECEIVED! I DONT THINK MY DAUGHTER HAD ANY IDEA OF THE CARE THIS KIND OF TORTOISE WOULD NEED I AM TRYING TO ADRESS THE SITUATION

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You are at the right place for the best help possible.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Just about the most important things you can do right now is to give her long soaks in warm water with baby food carrots mixed in, and to ensure that the correct lighting is being used in her enclosure.

Barryshaw6

Hemel Hempstead
hi again well i have made all the recomended changes to talias habitat and this morning her eyes were open not fully but definatly open thank you all for your kindness i helping me save talia my dad told me that if you have animals they always come first i have tried to instil this in my daughter and granddaughters mind i will be keeping a close eye on talia from now on thank you again everybody

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
hi again well i have made all the recomended changes to talias habitat and this morning her eyes were open not fully but definatly open thank you all for your kindness i helping me save talia my dad told me that if you have animals they always come first i have tried to instil this in my daughter and granddaughters mind i will be keeping a close eye on talia from now on thank you again everybody

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you for the update! Please, keep posting on her progress!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I'm glad that Talia is better now!
Please, come back with any questions you have and with new Talia's photos, of course!