Kota62

5 Year Member
IMG_9549.jpeg
Found this little one under my truck yesterday evening. I live in Las Vegas, NV and am pretty sure it’s a desert tortoise but this tortoise is definitely not wild. I would like confirmation on species just so I know how to properly handle it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like a DT to me. He needs a nice warm soak for about 30 minutes and then let go.
I'm not sure why you think it's not wild?
If it's truly not wild, then call local vets, pet stores and rescues to see if anyone is looking for it.

Kota62

5 Year Member
Looks like a DT to me. He needs a nice warm soak for about 30 minutes and then let go.
I'm not sure why you think it's not wild?
If it's truly not wild, then call local vets, pet stores and rescues to see if anyone is looking for it.
I have put up signs and posted some missing information on some local boards but I assumed because the tortoise was so friendly and was approaching people that it isn’t wild.

I put the little one in my side yard with a make shift burrow and it has remained there so far today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Definitely a DT. Most of the care info you find online will be all wrong. Here is the correct care info:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That's one of the reasons I love tortoises and even some turtles. They seem so tame even when they are wild. I don't think they really have a natural fear of humans. Of course a person has to realize they are a critter anyhow and might decide to take a nip. Even my "tame" Russian will.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
So good news! Our little wanderer was claimed by their owner. Thank you all for the quick responses. The resources helped me make her feel comfortable while she was on vacation. lol
GREAT JOB realizing that there was a tort under your truck. So many are run over by people not realizing there was a tort under there car/truck getting shade. There are actually stickers that say
This is Tortoise Country Check Under All Vehicles !