Found Desert Tortoise in Tierrasanta, CA

littleboxes

Hi, all! I'll get right down to it: on Monday, a lady brought in a (what I assume to be) fully grown desert tortoise to a shelter I volunteer at. She said she found him in the Tierrasanta area - on Tierrasanta Blvd to be specific. Found him at the end of September, has been keeping him with her and fed him romaine lettuce the entire time (yikes). He seems to be in good condition despite living off of lettuce for a few weeks. Obviously raised well and raised captive. Likes to climb on my lap while I'm sitting down. Lets himself inside and outside when he wants to go outside/is done being outside and wants to sleep. He's really chill. I'll try to post pics and give more info when he wakes up tomorrow

littleboxes

He's at an off-site location for the shelter because the environment at the main location wouldn't have been the best for his health. The shelter is actually centered around wildlife aide, so it's not as if they're going to adopt him out. But this is the big guy himself!
Cu0vI9mUsAEEVK6.jpg:large
Cu0vVa-UsAA_-WJ.jpg:large
Cu0vVa2VUAAriF3.jpg:large
Cu0vi8gVYAAqbdf.jpg:large
Cu0vi8eVYAAjGp4.jpg:large

Not every angle I wanted to get for this, but he's a fast mover and pretty hefty so I think it's good enough. He doesn't have any visible scars on his shell or extremities, so nothing really defining in terms of I.D. He is longer than a foot in length.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Except that he's gorgeous! What a beautiful boy. Did you happen to check craigslist to see if anyone posted him missing? Perhaps a found post by you will help find his family. He's so perfect, he has to be someone's guy. He certainly doesn't look wild to me.

Tierrasanta is such a lovely name for a place. I know skater Tony Hawk is from there. Not his tortoise, is it?

Thanks for helping this lovely gopherus! Welcome to TFO, also.

littleboxes

Except that he's gorgeous! What a beautiful boy. Did you happen to check craigslist to see if anyone posted him missing? Perhaps a found post by you will help find his family. He's so perfect, he has to be someone's guy. He certainly doesn't look wild to me.

Tierrasanta is such a lovely name for a place. I know skater Tony Hawk is from there. Not his tortoise, is it?

Thanks for helping this lovely gopherus! Welcome to TFO, also.
Thanks for the welcome! This is the only place I've posted about him so far. I didn't even think of craigslist, hmmm.... I'll be sure to give it a try!

And if Tony Hawk of all people raised this guy... I'd have to wonder if the tort rides a skateboard like those videos of dogs just standing on a moving skateboard:tort::cool:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Just make sure you get proof, pics for instance, that he did belong to them. To be sure. Maybe someone posted that he got lost. Check both lost and found section, and pets section.

Thanks again for helping the little wanderer. That time of year when they do go stroll along ...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
He's at an off-site location for the shelter because the environment at the main location wouldn't have been the best for his health. The shelter is actually centered around wildlife aide, so it's not as if they're going to adopt him out. But this is the big guy himself!
Cu0vI9mUsAEEVK6.jpg:large
Cu0vVa-UsAA_-WJ.jpg:large
Cu0vVa2VUAAriF3.jpg:large
Cu0vi8gVYAAqbdf.jpg:large
Cu0vi8eVYAAjGp4.jpg:large

Not every angle I wanted to get for this, but he's a fast mover and pretty hefty so I think it's good enough. He doesn't have any visible scars on his shell or extremities, so nothing really defining in terms of I.D. He is longer than a foot in length.
Handsome beast! :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Sure is a nice looking torts! ! !