Flood basking lamps!

philipgreece

Location (City and/or State)
Kefalonia
I try to find flood lamps! I find some in 75watts! I have now spot lamps! Do they produce the same heat or higher? What's the best height in flood lamps?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I try to find flood lamps! I find some in 75watts! I have now spot lamps! Do they produce the same heat or higher? What's the best height in flood lamps?
Spot lamps concentrate too much heat into too small an area. They will cause pyramiding.

Only your thermometer can tell you what height to mount your bulb. Lay a Digital thermometer on its back at tortoise shell height directly under the heat lamp, and let it cook there for an hour or more. Adjust the height of the bulb to get the temperature around 36C or 95-100F.

philipgreece

Kefalonia
Spot lamps concentrate too much heat into too small an area. They will cause pyramiding.

Only your thermometer can tell you what height to mount your bulb. Lay a Digital thermometer on its back at tortoise shell height directly under the heat lamp, and let it cook there for an hour or more. Adjust the height of the bulb to get the temperature around 36C or 95-100F.
I try to find flood lamps in Greece and I can't find! I'm so frustrated! 😓

philipgreece

Kefalonia

Arcadia sells flood lamps in most of Europe. Maybe you can find or order them?
Some pages can't send me in Greece! I have to try and ask in England!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Some pages can't send me in Greece! I have to try and ask in England!
https://www.reptiliumshop.gr/el/lampes/4390-2-exo-terra-daylight-basking-spot-75w.html - this one should work. It's a R20 type (flood) incandescent lamp. Maybe even 50W will be sufficient.

Or this one - https://www.reptiliumshop.gr/el/lampes/4749-2-exo-terra-daytime-heat-lamp-a19-60w.html Incandescent lamp too, but it needs wide diameter dome fixture to direct heat down.

Hanging height is adjusted based on thermometer measurements (lamp makers have table to estimate the mounting height, but you always need to check temps for you specific setup).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
https://www.reptiliumshop.gr/el/lampes/4390-2-exo-terra-daylight-basking-spot-75w.html - this one should work. It's a R20 type (flood) incandescent lamp. Maybe even 50W will be sufficient.

Or this one - https://www.reptiliumshop.gr/el/lampes/4749-2-exo-terra-daytime-heat-lamp-a19-60w.html Incandescent lamp too, but it needs wide diameter dome fixture to direct heat down.

Hanging height is adjusted based on thermometer measurements (lamp makers have table to estimate the mounting height, but you always need to check temps for you specific setup).
The first one you posted, isn't that a spot light? Those aren't recommended.

philipgreece

Kefalonia
The first one you posted, isn't that a spot light? Those aren't recommended.
So the photo you send with exo terra is the right one? I have searched all greece to find flood lamps and noone imports these lamps! Please if I take these lamps you send me of exo terra are a nice choice? And If yes are produce more heat from spot lamps?
So the photo you send with exo terra is the right one? I have searched all greece to find flood lamps and noone imports these lamps!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So the photo you send with exo terra is the right one? I have searched all greece to find flood lamps and noone imports these lamps! Please if I take these lamps you send me of exo terra are a nice choice? And If yes are produce more heat from spot lamps?
You don't want spot lamps. You want flood lamps. You can also use any incandescent regular house lamp bulbs.
If you get Amazon, they have floods.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You don't want spot lamps. You want flood lamps. You can also use any incandescent regular house lamp bulbs.
If you get Amazon, they have floods.
It's the R20 type lamp, so it's a flood light. It's very hard to avoid confusion with basking *spot* lights.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
So the photo you send with exo terra is the right one? I have searched all greece to find flood lamps and noone imports these lamps!
Yes, that's the right type. Just for the note: R20, BR20 and BR30 incandescent lamps is what suitable for basking spots. It's called flood lamp or reflector lamp depending on country.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
R20 and BR20 are almost the same (BR has an additional reflector). 20 and 30 is a diameter of the lamp (roughly 2.5 and 3.5 inches).

Here is more or less detailed explanation: