New routine!

philipgreece

Location (City and/or State)
Kefalonia
Ok I just want to share the new routine! I have thermometers and ceramic lamps! Exactly 20 days I follow this! I use ceramic lamps at night for Exactly 7 hours! The temperature is 24 degrees Celsius and the humidity 50 - 60% percent! I have seen that both of my tortoises eat more poop more and urate Normally! I check my male feces and i haven't seen rocks yet! I give especially in my male cuttlebone in small pieces because I told you all he has a little bit flexible shell! After a long time I show again that white stuff from urate from both of them! Now the question is this! I wake up in the morning and I see them exactly near to ceramic lamps! I turn them off and I turn then on the basking lamps and the uvb lamps! They wake up after 20 minutes and they go immediately straight to their food! They eat and they go back immediately in their caves! They can go out again in the middle of the day a little bit! I wonder if I can continue this routine because they don't basking and I don't know if they take the uvb from the arcadia lamps! If I don't use ceramic lamps they wake up late but they basking normally under the lamps! I have to say if I don't use ceramic lamps their shell are cold in morning!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Is your ambient temperature dropping too low without the CHEs? Are your CHE's not connected to a thermostat?

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Ok I just want to share the new routine! I have thermometers and ceramic lamps! Exactly 20 days I follow this! I use ceramic lamps at night for Exactly 7 hours! The temperature is 24 degrees Celsius and the humidity 50 - 60% percent! I have seen that both of my tortoises eat more poop more and urate Normally! I check my male feces and i haven't seen rocks yet! I give especially in my male cuttlebone in small pieces because I told you all he has a little bit flexible shell! After a long time I show again that white stuff from urate from both of them! Now the question is this! I wake up in the morning and I see them exactly near to ceramic lamps! I turn them off and I turn then on the basking lamps and the uvb lamps! They wake up after 20 minutes and they go immediately straight to their food! They eat and they go back immediately in their caves! They can go out again in the middle of the day a little bit! I wonder if I can continue this routine because they don't basking and I don't know if they take the uvb from the arcadia lamps! If I don't use ceramic lamps they wake up late but they basking normally under the lamps! I have to say if I don't use ceramic lamps their shell are cold in morning!
this may be off topic but I just saw your name tag and it said its your birthday so happy birthday!

philipgreece

Kefalonia
this may be off topic but I just saw your name tag and it said its your birthday so happy birthday!
Thank you so much!
Is your ambient temperature dropping too low without the CHEs? Are your CHE's not connected to a thermostat?
Witho
I don't have thermostat! Without ceramic lamps the temperature goes 20 or 19 degrees with almost 80% humidity! What do you suggest?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You can place the food dishes near the basking bulbs and under the UVB lamps.

If basking lamps don't warm up the enclosure enough, you need to leave ceramic lamps on (at least for some hours more in the morning and in the evening). But get simple thermostats for them (just the very basic on/off), whatever is available at pet shops or on Skroutz and then let the thermostats do the job.

Χρόνια πολλά! :)

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Ok thank you so much! Till I get one should I leave the ceramic lamps on or not?
I'd do whatever it takes to keep your Temps at an appropriate level for now. You wouldn't it falling so much that your tort gets a respiratory infection. Without knowing they type and size of your tort, I can't say what that level should be. I keep it set for 80F for my sulcata. Oh.. and happy birthday BTW!

philipgreece

Kefalonia
I'd do whatever it takes to keep your Temps at an appropriate level for now. You wouldn't it falling so much that your tort gets a respiratory infection. Without knowing they type and size of your tort, I can't say what that level should be. I keep it set for 80F for my sulcata. Oh.. and happy birthday BTW!
I have russians! Sulcata I think need humidity! I have heard that russians no! That's why inuse ceramic lamps to keep the humidity and temperature in normal conditions! Thank you so much! 😊

philipgreece

Kefalonia
You can place the food dishes near the basking bulbs and under the UVB lamps.

If basking lamps don't warm up the enclosure enough, you need to leave ceramic lamps on (at least for some hours more in the morning and in the evening). But get simple thermostats for them (just the very basic on/off), whatever is available at pet shops or on Skroutz and then let the thermostats do the job.

Χρόνια πολλά! :)
My daily routine when I turn the basking lamps they go under the heat! They basking there and then they go for food and they go back again under the lamps! Then they go in their caves which the temperature there is 22 degrees! They go out again after some hours and they do the same thing! I'm afraid about humidity because I had then almost 2 years without ceramic lamps at night and I'm afraid if humidity for russians can create some respiratory infection! Thank you for your wishes! 😊

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I have russians! Sulcata I think need humidity! I have heard that russians no! That's why inuse ceramic lamps to keep the humidity and temperature in normal conditions! Thank you so much! 😊
Ah, ruskies! Yeah, I'm not as familiar with them, but in reading Tom's care sheet he recommended around 65 or 70F for nighttime.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Happy birthday.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
My daily routine when I turn the basking lamps they go under the heat! They basking there and then they go for food and they go back again under the lamps! Then they go in their caves which the temperature there is 22 degrees! They go out again after some hours and they do the same thing! I'm afraid about humidity because I had then almost 2 years without ceramic lamps at night and I'm afraid if humidity for russians can create some respiratory infection! Thank you for your wishes! 😊
22C degrees is a little bit lower, than optimal 24C, but should not be a big problem as they can warm up under the lamp.

You are right, that high humidity in a cold enclosure can result in respiratory infections (that's true for any tortoise). 50-60% and 24C is fine for adult Russians. Thermostats will make it easy to maintain these conditions.

philipgreece

Kefalonia
22C degrees is a little bit lower, than optimal 24C, but should not be a big problem as they can warm up under the lamp.

You are right, that high humidity in a cold enclosure can result in respiratory infections (that's true for any tortoise). 50-60% and 24C is fine for adult Russians. Thermostats will make it easy to maintain these conditions.
Thank you so much for your information! 😊