wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
xmas and tatum 034.JPG
xmas and tatum 048.JPG
xmas and tatum 033.JPG
Sorry they didn't post in correct order.
I have finished Tatums window green house box. I have not been able to use it yet. The weather changed as soon as I got it in the window. Clouds came, sun left:( We have not had enough sunny weather since. I am going to add a infrared heat bulb to help keep it warm. I also may have to change the cooler inside little plastic box to a bigger one, or I may not need it at all, not sure yet. Will probably have to do some tweeking after I actually get to use it.
Let me know what you think, or if you have any ideas about what I may need to change.
Hope you like it.:D I hope Tatum likes it:) I have had him in it a couple times, just in my living room though.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I like how you made the small area right off the back of the window unit. Are you gonna put any plants in there or just have substrate and a hide?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am going to grow some chia, and clover seeds in a small flat tray, so he can graze while out there. I will probably put a small dish of water, incase he wants to drink. I also will have a hide and a log he can go under.
Can you tell that the big box hangs half out side the window and half inside. Then I added the extra smaller box that won't get the same heat as the two ends of the bigger box.
I am just waiting to get some sunshine. Too many cloudy days.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
that a pretty cool idea to get some sunshine when we cant go outside like all the people who live in a warm area !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So when you see a weird box sticking out of a third floor apt. Window, well you found me.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
It looks really good and a good idea but wonder on a sunny day can it get too hot inside? I picked up some corrugated clear plastic (kind used in greenhouses) and would like to use it in some fashion on a tortoise enclosure
but have not come up with a plan yet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
HtVic said:
how much does that cost?

I paid 58.00 for the green house box from wayfair.com, with free shipping. I replaced the top with plexi glass for 21.00 and the wood bottom was 5.00 and some change from home depot.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
oscar said:
It looks really good and a good idea but wonder on a sunny day can it get too hot inside? I picked up some corrugated clear plastic (kind used in greenhouses) and would like to use it in some fashion on a tortoise enclosure
but have not come up with a plan yet.

It can get too hot. That is why i have the little box attached that he can come out of the green house part. I also can lift the lid on the green house section that sits inside my house. The corrugated plastic is what is on this one. However I replaced the top with plexiglass to let in more of the UVB, if any will get through at all. I was told that is doesn't go through the corrugated. Even if non of it gets through, at least he has another home to explore and to get sunshine anyway. In the summer I will be removing the floor and using it outside as a warming box if he wants to go in it.

dmarcus said:
Okay, sounds and looks good so far...

Thank you:D

Eweezyfosheezy said:
It turned out very nice!!!

Thank you :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
*claps*
Great job. Just as I pictured it, although I am sure I would not have done as good a job.
Well thought out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
lynnedit said:
*claps*
Great job. Just as I pictured it, although I am sure I would not have done as good a job.
Well thought out.

Thank you. A few oops, but it works. Now if I could get Tatum to do more in it than sleep:D and if I could get some sun:(

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
That's an awesome idea! I think it looks very nice, and I look forward to updates with pictures, too. Once you get it fully set up, and all... well - and when the sun returns. lol ;)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Wicked awesome! I need to do something like that!

Can't wait to hear what your neighbors have to say!! =P "Oh, over there? That's just the crazy tortoise lady!"

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pokeymeg said:
Wicked awesome! I need to do something like that!

Can't wait to hear what your neighbors have to say!! =P "Oh, over there? That's just the crazy tortoise lady!"

LOL:D

Status
Not open for further replies.