Feeding leopards in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Hey, any Canadians with a bead on where we can get our hands on cactus for food?
I have had nothing but trouble trying to get some healthy, CLEAN, cactus for my little leopard tortoise.
Also, can anyone confirm is wild grape ok to feed? Tons of this stuff grows in my neighbourhood by our pond and in the forest.
I will try an upload a picture later.

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you wild grape is just regular grapes that is just growing wildly then the leaves are great food source. If you have a health food store near, like a whole food, they may have cactus pads. You can also look on ebay and see if any for sale there will ship to Canada.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I have found decent cactus pads in both Wal-mart and Kroger grocery stores. They usually have thorns, so you have to be careful and clean them well.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
What province are you in? I'm originally from Canada. Do you have any asian markets near you?

And I'll let someone else chime in on the wild grape.

rnbslitheringhouse

5 Year Member
Sh3wulf said:
Hey, any Canadians with a bead on where we can get our hands on cactus for food?
I have had nothing but trouble trying to get some healthy, CLEAN, cactus for my little leopard tortoise.
Also, can anyone confirm is wild grape ok to feed? Tons of this stuff grows in my neighbourhood by our pond and in the forest.
I will try an upload a picture later.

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

Kijiji in St. Catherine's there's a guy named joe that sells them all natural. No No pesticides or fertilizer. I just bought some of him.ImageUploadedByTortForum1375734019.806851.jpg

Type in Prickly Pear Cactus

Last edited by a moderator:

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks all. Didn't want to buy from the box stores. Used to work for one of the biggies which will remain unnamed, but I will tell you there is no chance I would feed Benny a plant purchased from one of those and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.
I opened a truck of plants and had to be rushed to hospital in anaphylactic shock because I inhaled so much pesticide from the plants when the truck opened that my throat closed shut and I was very ill.
Thanks for all the recommends folks. I haven't had much luck with kijiji but will have to just be persistent.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1379799468.920755.jpg these are good right? I'm told they are Optunia and I cut one and no white stuff so that's good yes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.