Cactus identification - urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I have an opportunity today to get first pick from a lot of home grown, unfertilized, pesticide free cactus.
I have already reserved the Optunia, but would really appreciate help selecting anything else that our Leopard can eat? Thanks.
Here's the picture:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373892236.768782.jpg

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The only other true"cactus" that I have experience feeding them is "Organ Pipe" cactus. I have to cut the spines off. Any opuntia variety is good to go.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom, he's has three large 18" pots full of Optunia, so I'm considering this a super lucky find

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see quite a few in the Euphorbia species in that grouping. Just pinch a very small injury in each one. If it bleeds white, milky sap, that's Euphorbia and toxic.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne. Appreciate the info.

Does this look like an Organ pipe young? It doesn't bleed white, but clear.

Helps if I take the picture lolImageUploadedByTortForum1373923369.917723.jpg
I have had it for years. Been growing it since it was only two inches tall. It's now over three feet

Last edited by a moderator:

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I'm sorry to say that the guy I was buying these from appears to have fallen from the face of the planet. So I'm back to searching for Optunia pads I can purchase for Benny. You that live in beautiful hot climates are so lucky!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
just get one pad from a store or neighbors plant.. cut it in half, let sit and the end dry out and plant your own!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks Laura. I just what, plant the dry end into soil and it will root?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
After 24to 48 hours of drying out . Plant it in pot or ground give it some water about once a week

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks Grandpa Turtle. Now to find some Optunia in Ontario. Hmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.